Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day, Again....


It's a beautiful day and I don't expect to get a lot of mini making finished after all. April and Seth are taking my husband out for lunch and a movie to celebrate his belated birthday and guess what? I get to go along! That means Tessie is just going to have to wait for her door!

Meanwhile, I thought that I would wish you a good day by showing you an oldie but goodie. I made this bag for my husband for Valentine's day about 20 years ago. Everything has held up pretty good but the bag. I see some wear and tear going on around the top. I guess I am going to need a new bag.

You have seen the table again and again in different fabrics. The hat on the wall is one that I used to get by the dozens from Mexico in the raw. It is woven of wheat straw and when I got them they were dyed in various colors. I painted them with Ceramcoat and decorated with silk ribbon and bunka. I haven't seen any of the little hats lately. I don't know if they still make them or not. I wish I could find some again. They were much easier than weaving my own.

The walnut shelf is one of those laser cut kits. I didn't sand it very well between coats of varnish way back then and it shows.

The point of the whole thing is to get to the fan. I thought that you might like a mini gift for your Valentine. All you need is a fancy Japanese toothpick, a piece of index card, a couple of small pictures, some silk ribbon and bunka.
I cut the toothpick down on the fancy end to about 3/4". Sand the end and cut an 1/8" slit in the center of the end with my razor saw. Stain or paint the toothpick and let it dry. While it is drying, cut a fancy shape out of the index card.

If you have a fancy punch about 1" across, so much the better. I just sketched a shape on a piece of paper and cut it out for a pattern. It can be a plain circle, heart or just scalloped around the edges. Just keep in mind that you are going to cover the edges with unraveled bunka, so don't get too complicated. After you have the shape that you want, glue a picture to one side and trim it to match the edges of the index card. Turn it over and do the same to the other side.

Put some glue in the slit on the toothpick and slide the fan into the handle. Glue bunka around the edges. Put a rose and/or a bow at the spot where the fan and handle meet. There you have it! I'll bet you can't make just one.

If you look closely, you will see that I cut a picture out of a catalog that was the old "Dogs playing poker" painting. What can I say? At the time I thought it was funny.......

Incidentally, I get on the net every once in a while and subscribe to catalogs that I think might be useful for minis. Please don't tell the catalog people that!
Now I am going to go get ready for a day out. You can go make fans while I am gone.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

rosanna said...

The table is lovely and the fan is very cute. Enjoy your evening out. Mini hugs

Donna Hager said...

what a pretty scene. I love the Valentine's day bag too.
Donna