Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cut and Paste. Cut and Paste.

Actually I was doing cut and glue, but cut and paste sounded more computer oriented. I finished all of the half timbers. YAY!!! This morning I did the plaster in all of the in between sections. Then I painted them all. You want proof?

OK. Here's one end with the plaster done. I did it with the DAP that I told you about the other day. Tools used? Fingers. I smeared it on and got a good cover and then I stippled it with the end of my finger to rough it up. I cleaned up the half timbers as I went with a damp paper towel. I am afraid that it isn't to impressive in this state.

After that dried, I used Antique White, Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint to fill in the panels. Again, this isn't very impressive. I didn't want to stray away from the traditional colors.

I don't know if you noticed that I decided to cut off the cat slide that made up half of the porch roof. If it rains the tenants will just have to carry an umbrella.

My next move will be to get out the DAS air drying clay to do the foundation. That reminds me, I have to go find the foundation piece that fits under the back floor. That will need doing too.

I guess that I should do the front step at the same time. The house comes with just a small front step. I am thinking that I would prefer one more the size of the one on the basket shop. I make people stand in the rain, holding the umbrella whilst they hunt for their keys, but I won't make them teeter on a tiny step or stand in the mud! I'm not that mean.

I still haven't decided what this cottage is going to be when it grows up. Give me a couple more days. Maybe when it is all dressed up on the outside I will decide what goes inside.

I have to go hunt down the piece of back foundation and something to make a front step from.
See you tomorrow.

10 comments:

Erika said...

OMG Casey.

Can´t find more words to describe it

Erika said...

Hi just wanted to tell you that I have wrote aboute you on my blog

A lot of mini hugs

Caseymini said...

Thanks for the mention, Erika. Also thanks for all of the nice comments that you make on my blog.

Debbie said...

Casey, you amaze me how you manage to get so much done in a day. I'm still chasing my own tail today..

marlies said...

Its becoming great! LOVELY!

Sasha said...

Looking great. Have you thought about how you're going to do the roof? Can I make a (very selfish) request? Thatch it! It would look lovely with the half-timber effect. Also I'm desperate to learn how to thatch.

Then it would make a beautiful grounds-keeper/gardener's cottage!

Caseymini said...

No decisions on what kind of cottage it is going to be yet. I am leaning towards a home for Esmirelda so that she won't have to spend all of her time in the Witches' Warehouse. As for a thached roof......Maybe, but probably not. It's hard to find thatching around here.

Minka said...

You really make these crude little kits look so wonderful! Is the stuff for the plaster between the timbers, the same as the air-drying DAS?

Minka said...

Is the stuff you used between the timbers also called air-drying DAS? Or is this someting different?

Caseymini said...

Minka, the plaster on this one is actually just Dap spackle, used for patching drywal. It is a plaster type substance that I spread on with my fingers and a used credit card.