Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, December 15, 2008

Perfumery.......

Among my friends, there has been talk of perfumeries and making perfume bottles for the past few days. I went to Wal Mart with every intention of getting things that I need in real life and leaving this morning......Then I saw this. It was on the sucker Christmas presents shelf at the front of the store. You know what I mean. Wal Mart always has lots of "bargains" on shelves as you go into their store. They are hoping that you will see something that you can't resist. I usually breeze right by them. This morning I accidentally turned my head in the wrong direction at the wrong time.


I should never have looked to my left. There was a big sign that announced that these were only $5.00. They were filled with White Jasmine smelling stuff. I like white jasmine and I am out of bubble bath.(I will use any excuse.)
As soon as I saw it I knew that it belonged to me. It was a no work(almost) display for minis. I thought that it would be perfect for something. At first I thought of purses or hats. I already did purses just a little while ago. I wasn't going to get too many hats in it. It is 2 1/4" deep, 7 1/4"high and 10" across.


It jumped into my cart and whined for me to rescue it from the shelf. How could I resist? I took pity on it and brought it home. I found this old Mini Graphics wallpaper and a scrap of real wallpaper for the floor.

I pulled out the bath products and got to work. I simply laid it on the back of the paper and drew around it for the back wall. I cut it out and pushed it in place to see how much I had to trim. It was about an eighth of an inch. I did that. Then I cut a 2 1/4" strip long enough to fit the arch and a piece of the other paper for the floor. On the long piece, I had to poke three holes. The handle is a ribbon that is just pushed through and knotted. The button for the closure is simply a ball button on a black twist tie. I removed those, poked the holes and installed the paper. It was easy to poke the ribbon and the twist tie back in place. The front will cover these. They won't ever be seen.

I fancied up the shelf unit with trims and painted it charcoal. I did try some of the hats in it. That's when I found that there wouldn't be much room. That's when I remembered the talk of a perfumery. I finished up the inside. My next step will be the accessories to go on the shelves.
I don't know how many perfume bottles I have made over the years, but I know it is way more than I would need to fill these shelves. They don't take very long to make. I am thinking that I will put in some gift baskets and maybe some towel sets. It will be kind of a bath shop.

This will give me something to do tomorrow. No. The cookies aren't baked. No. The house is not ready for company. No. the laundry isn't done. I ask you.....What is more important?
See you tomorrow with the answer......

1 comment:

Katie said...

WOW! I love how you think! I need to start paying attetion to things, huh!! Love the idea of a perfume shop....can't wait to see what you do!