Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Was Framed!!!

I said I would get back to the book shop....I lied. I was looking at the website that I sent yesterday and thinking about the extra skeleton that I didn't have an ear for and started doing this.
I rummaged through my frame cupboard and found a small oak frame with an opening of 3" x 4 3/4". That is just about perfect for a large quarter scale room front. Then I grabbed some scraps of quarter inch foam core and cut a piece that would just fit in the opening on the back of the frame. This piece will become the back of the room box.
Next I determined that I wanted the box to be as deep as it was tall. the sides would have to fit inside the ceiling and floor pieces so I cut those 2 1/2" square. Then I cut floor and ceiling pieces that were that were 2 1/2" by 4 3/4". In other words the floor and ceiling pieces were the same length as the back piece and the depth that I wanted the box to be. Have I lost you yet?
In this photo you are looking in through the top where the ceiling will be when the box is in the correct position. If you tip it back, the wall on the top will be the back wall of the box and the piece facing you will be the floor.
I didn't glue in the ceiling piece because it is easier to do all of the wallpapering and trim before you put a lid on it.
I painted the frame black. Here you can see it in the correct position and the ceiling piece is loose on top.
Next I will do the inside. Here is some of the paper and windows that I am looking to use.
This is the closest to orange I could find in my stash. I may have to do a little more searching. This looks more peachy.
I will install the paper, flooring and paint the ceiling. Then I will find a scene to put behind the windows and glue them to the back wall.
I will paint or paper the outside to cover the foam core. Sometimes I put feet under the back of the box to level them off. Since this is so small, I think that I will just leave it slanted. That way it will be more easily seen.
This is a lot of trouble to go to for a 62 cent skeleton. I am at the point that I will do anything to get out of the bookshop for another day! I am having a good time. Just ignore me while I hide in the corner and make the skeleton a happy home.
Back to work. See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Just found this post. I'll look around and see if I have a frame to use for the front like you did here.
Another great idea!