Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hubert's Haberdashery Grand Opening!


There are still a few things to do, but I think that I'm close enough for a Grand Opening Now! I finished all of the signage this morning. I put all of the fixtures in place. There are still a few things that I would like to fill the two vacant shelves with, but I'm not going to wait another day to say it's done. Here it is in all it's glory!

First I will guide you to the photography section. I still want to modify the camera. It needs a walnut box and a brass lens. I can do that anytime. At least there is a camera there.
You can get a pretty clear view of the socks in this one. The advertisement for shoes with the sour looking man is one that I have had for years. It came on a sheet of black and white mini adverts in the early 80s.


I think I may have told you that the shoe boxes came from one of the printie sites that I sent you to one time. To give them some variety, I printed them out on cream colored card stock and folded some of them inside out. The darker ones are the printed side.


Next we have the center section of the store. The main counter still needs a cash register. I refuse to steal one from one of the other stores. I NEED another cash register and I am going to get one. This is what you see coming through the front door. Looking at the photo, I think that it needs a mat or rug in front of the counter. I have lots of those. As soon as I finish here, I am going get brave and go into the darkest reaches of my workroom and look for one.
Sometimes I can figure out what's missing better by looking at a photo than with the naked eye.


I am thinking that the signs could stand to be a bit smaller. I may change those.



I'm not sure that the stove isn't a fire hazard where it is setting. Oh well. Everyone will be warm while shopping if the place doesn't burn down.


Here's another photo of that area. I found the poster on the back wall in a Smithsonian magazine years ago. In case you can't tell, I'm a hoarder of things that may come in useful. I only do it with things that will fit in a house or store that I have plans to make. The only trouble is, I want to make one of everything......
I can't wait to start on the next thing. That's why I am always jumping around on projects. They all eventually get done. I just don't know which one is going to get done first.


The last photo is of the shirt cupboard. I have a feeling that it is going to be a mistake putting it by the dressing room. Men are going to be trying them all on and not folding them back up. Maybe I should put a basket next to the door with a sign "Deposit unfolded shirts here.". Otherwise they will be all over the place!
I hope you enjoyed the tour. Please don't forget to stop back at Mr. Geil's photo studio and have your complimentary tintype taken.
See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Katie said...

It looks great Casey! Can't wait to see what you have next for us!!

Lisa Neault said...

I love your shop! What structure did you use? Your haberdashery is so intricate-- awesome work!~Lisa

Caseymini said...

Lisa, go back to the first couple of entries about the haberdashery. I said in there someplace that the building is a Ballhagen building. They used to sell at mini shows. I don't think that they are in business any more. The Rusty Needle,Minutiae, and the Sundance Saloon are also their buildings

Unknown said...

Hi !!!
roombox very very fine!!!!
My compliments!!!
Terry - Italy

Minka said...

Love it! How about some cigars to celebrate the opening? Would they have had a spitoon in that time? Congrats on your opening (even if I'm 2+ years late!)

Minka said...

Where did you get that cool paper dispenser? Do you have a string dispenser, too?

Caseymini said...

Minka, the paper dispencer is one that I got maybe 25 years ago. I am sure that someone still carries them....Have you tried miniatures.com? Thanks for the suggestion. No. I don't have a string holder. I could easily make one of those though. I will get on it sometime soon.