Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Multiply by 10!


Someone told me a long time ago that when you are doing miniatures you should calculate the time that you think it will take to do a task and multiply that figure by 10. They have proven themselves to be right every time I do something mini.


I figured that I would have the two hutches done in an afternoon....Nope. I am still working on them. I put two coats of paint on the first hutch(left) and then I started working on the other one. I decided that I wanted to keep them together as far as the stages. I won't show you photos of the second one. It looked exactly like the first one all the way through. When the second one caught up I painted them both forest green.
I am not satisfied with the sanding or with the paint finish. I used a bottle of really old forest green that I had in a drawer. For some reason this photo makes them look a lot lighter than they actually are. I need to put a second coat on the last one. Then whatever I do to them they will look alike. I am planning on antiquing them with a burnt umber wash. Then there will be a final finish. Probably satin Deft will do the trick.
I am going to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening, hopefully, finishing them. It is perilously close to the "ten times" mark. Sorry to be so short. I need to get back to work. See you tomorrow.

No comments: