Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

All Sewn Up

Yesterday the sewing room looked kind of bare. I fixed that. The lady of the house made a shirt. She used one of the Simplicity patterns that she got at Hancock's yesterday.


The shirt was made all by gluing. No sewing. I know that some of you are opposed to needles and thread. Sometimes that is a good thing. Basically, I just downsized the pieces of a real shirt pattern and left the seam allowances off. I edged all of the pieces with white glue and re trimmed so that they wouldn't fray. I noticed with the photo, that I need to trim just a couple more spots on the edges. It helps if you sew in regular size to use this method. You need to know the shape of pieces and how they go together. BTW, the buttons were simply punched out of colored card stock with the smallest round punch that I have.

The hanger was made from a white plastic coated paper clip. I just took a pair of needle nose pliers and bent it in the shape I wanted.

Next I decided that I needed to camouflage the bottom of the short dress form. Easy. I simply stood the sack in front and then thought that the seamstress would appreciate a cookie break. I made the tuffet that the cookies are sitting on from a design I came up with a couple of years ago.

Behind the dress form you can see an embroiderer's table that a friend made. The pegs on top are to loop hanks of thread over to keep the colors straight.

On the quilt stand, there is a yellow pulled work tablecloth that
I made. It is done exactly like the big ones are done. The only difference is I had to use a lighted magnifier to see where to put the needle between the threads in the batiste.

The quilt on the back of the stand is a cheater quilt. That is, it was printed on a piece of material from a quilt store. I got it at least 10 years ago. The fabric was printed with photographs of real quilts. It was perfect for miniature work. I bought a few yards and use it quite a bit in different scenes.


Here you can see the whole scene. I added some exposed beams at the edge of the alcove and in the corners.

With the exception of something to hang on the wall behind the chair, I think I am done with this part of the mystery house.

Now I have to go clean up the real house. Ick!!! I am having the Wednesday Witches here tomorrow. See you then.

1 comment:

Rita Tjelta said...

I like what you have done whith this room. And being a seamstrees myself,I love having a cookie-break *smile*