Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, June 16, 2008

Eskiaga's Home




I am working on very boring windows today, so I decided to give you an up close tour of Eskiaga's Room Box. This started out as a wooden packing crate that my husband brought home from work. I couldn't resist trying to turn it into something more than what it was.



I sat down and drew up plans for the inside of the box. Then I started cutting pieces of foam core for the inside walls. The whole thing just came together for me. After a couple of BIG containers of spackle, I had the room.


Then I went to a couple of my favorite books on Spanish and Mexican furniture. With the exception of the two chairs by the door and the Shaker cabinet on the opposite wall, I drew up plans and made all of the furniture from scratch, using the books as guides.



I wired the box to have a chandelier in the center of the ceiling, glowing coals in the fireplace, and sunlight outside on the patio.



The chandelier is made from various jewelry findings glued together and painted black. When I can, I buy bags of junk jewelry at thrift shops. You would be surprised what you can find in broken necklaces and earrings.



The painting behind is an original acrylic done on silk.



On to the woodwork and furniture.


The door and all of the moldings are hand carved with a little help. For the molding I started with commercial molding and then carved the diamond pattern into the center of it before staining. The door itself was one piece of basswood cut to match the size of an antique door in one of the books. I then carved the design directly into the wood. The chairs in this photo are Take a Seat resin.


Next the bed.

It was also hand carved to match an antique Spanish piece from Mexico. The coverlet is #22 hardanger cloth and the "thunder bird" border is actually a pattern from Transylvania!



The pot on the right was a plain terracotta pot. I painted the Native American design on it.



The cupboard in the right hand room on top is a copy of a Santos cupboard from Mexico. Each panel has a different saint hand painted into it. The X chair is Mexican also.





Eskiaga hopes you enjoyed the tour. Now he says you all should go away so that he can eat his tacos and enchiladas in peace! See you tomorrow.



4 comments:

Katie said...

I really like how you did the 2 levels in this box! Very Creative!!

miss_maya said...

Wow! I have been slowly making my way through your blog over the past few days, and I am amazed. I'm totally new to the whole Miniature thing, but it's people like you who hreally inspire me (and remind me that stupid splinters and glue all over myself are worth it!).

miss_maya said...

Wow! I have been slowly making my way through your blog over the past few days, and I am amazed. I'm totally new to the whole Miniature thing, but it's people like you who hreally inspire me (and remind me that stupid splinters and glue all over myself are worth it!).

Maria said...

WOW!! Wonderfull! I have to put this blog to my favorites :)