Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

From One Pattern


Probably ten years ago I went to Arizona State Day with a group of friends. The project that year was an Armoire in a shadow box. It's the blue one that I have shown several times on the blog. The kit included all of the wood and the shadow box. We could do anything we wanted inside. The pattern was simple and I have made it a couple of times since.


The next time I made it, I used commercial cabriole legs and turned it into more of a highboy bookcase. I carved the legs to a slimmer silhouette and used only horizontal shelves. It is in a garden room corner box.




Today I decided it would be a good starting point again. Since I didn't have the wood to finish the kitchen armoire for the Mystery House, I started an armoire for the bedroom.




Here's what I have so far.



The trim that you see around the top, middle, bottom and drawers is a handy dandy little thing called guitar inlay. It does a pretty good job of fancying up mini furniture. Some people use wider strips of this to make inlaid floor borders.



This pattern is a "cheater" pattern. The drawers don't open. I could make it so that they would but what's the point? They will never be opened.

The bottom is actually an open box.



As you can see from the photo, I just stuck the legs inside. My feeling is, this is a kit house and is never going to a museum. It is for fun. So I cut corners here and there.


I still have to make the doors. I am thinking that I will do them as frames with the infamous Penelope Canvas as an inset. This could still change. I have the frames made, but Penelope is still just lying there.


I can't decide if I like it or not. I am going to have to look in my stash. This piece is kind of yellow. I think I have some that is more cream/pink toned. The guitar inlay is more pinkish. It doesn't show yet because there is no finish on the piece yet.


So far I think it goes pretty well with the bed.


I will keep you posted as I go. See you tomorrow.

No comments: