Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Changing Styles

I went to work on the bottom floor of the bookshop this morning and decided to change the style of the bay. The hanging down part in the center has bothered me since I started putting it together. I kept feeling that when I attempted to sit in the bay or to get out of the bay I was going to bump my head. We can't have that. I can foresee mini lawsuits galore.

I got the keyhole saw out and went to town. It now looks like this. I cut a trim piece to match out of mat board. As you can see, I have spackled the inner edges. I would like to do the same shape in the second story, but I am afraid that it will be way too difficult since the bay is already installed there. We shall see.......


I cut some floorboards and laid them down to see how they looked. They aren't fastened down yet. I am using the slats from one of the 80s blinds. I love those because they are already stained and easy to cut with scissors.


Since that is all I have to show you of the stuff I am doing this morning, I guess a couple of other photos are in order.


This is a birdcage that I did for my daughter for Christmas the same year as the Harry Potter trunk for my SIL.


I didn't change anything about the cage itself. It opens from the bottom so I simply made 3 panels to fit between the uprights.


I put valances on three and curtains on the outer two.


I made wicker pieces with padded seats and backs. One of these chairs takes more than 10 hours to complete. There are no shortcuts. You just weave and weave some more until they are done. It takes a while with # 20 crochet thread.


The rug in the center is one that I designed. It is from a real Chinese rug that I found in the library at the U of A.


There is a purchased parrot on the back of one of the chairs. I made the cat on the other chair. They have come to a truce. Very smart of them.


I made the spider plants at the front of the cage. They are just plain old green paper cut in a long zigzag strip and rolled up to make the leaves. Then they are curled with a knife edge.


Now that you are looking the other way, I am going to disappear again. I need to get back to business and see what I can do to the other bay. See you tomorrow.

No comments: