Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Bits and Bobs

Today I am fighting either the start of a cold or really lousy allergies. I'm not sure which yet. So I am wandering about doing a little of this and a little of that to keep my mind off of it.


First I put together the outside of the armoire. The shelves that you see inside are not in place they are just reinforcing the sides while it drys in the jig. I can't remember the name of this jig. I got it many years ago and I couldn't do furniture without it. I think that they are still available from Micro Mark. I haven't had one of their catalogs for years, so I can't look up the name for you.


It is a metal tray about 10" square and it comes with eight of those little metal covered magnets that you see. They hold the glued pieces of whatever you are building square until the glue dries.


While it was drying I started planning the extra trim for the doors. I also drew up the designs for the painted part. After it was dry I drew the scene in the center that goes behind the sink.


Then my attention span leaped over to the cover up rug. Buster can now sit on the rug and keep his bottom warm instead of having to sit on the cold floor over the hole with the draft. He is quite relieved.


Notice that the circular staircase is down again. I found the newel post that was on it originally. I am going to take it apart and replace the one that is just a spindle that is on there now.


That's what I get for cleaning the workroom. It just makes more work. Maybe I will start calling it the playroom. Then maybe it will make more play when I clean it.......Oh well, it was just a thought.


Back to the subject at hand. A couple of people asked how I finish off the rugs. So here goes. I don't like to fold them under because they look too thick to me. So I just turn them over and smear the back edges with white glue. Did you know that they used to use rabbit skin glue to do this on real pieces of needlepoint? Icky! Poor rabbits!! I know. Stick to the subject.


After the glue dries I trim it as close as possible to the last row of stitches, being careful not to snip the threads. Then I take a Sharpie or other permanent pen that closely matches the last line of stitching and color the canvas edge.
After this, if I want a fringe on the end of the carpet I take a piece of muslin that has been trimmed with a straight edge following the lines of thread and fringe one edge and glue it to the back of the rug. That's all there is to it. Simple.
I'm sorry this is short today. I need to go see what I can find to kick the cold/allergy. See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Minka said...

Your rug looks fabulous! Very clever technique on the fringe. BTW, I found the jig online at http://www.micromark.com/Magnetic-Gluing-Jig-10-1and4-Square,7038.html Does that mean we get a commission on any sales? ;0)