Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

While the Glue Dries.....

When we stopped, we had just finished the dust ruffle. Today we do the mattress, sheets and comforter.

Number one on the list is a mattress. I usually make this of half inch foam cut to the size of the bed and beveled on the top on the two long sides and the foot of the bed.


I was out of foam so decided to experiment. And it worked! I had some half inch packing Styrofoam from when we bought our last TV. It was just too nice to throw away. I cut that to the size of the bed and then cut a piece of the thinnest quilter's fleece. It's like batting but reallllllly thin. They use it for making clothes. I beveled the top three edges just like I do when I am using foam. Then I glued the fleece on top. After that I cut a piece of the same material that I used for the ruffle large enough to wrap around the back and top and cover about 2" of the front. I wrapped it around and glued it in place just like a sheet on a real bed. No. I didn't make a fitted sheet.


Next, the comforter. I measured the bed width and length and added an inch and a quarter all around for the fall. I cut out the same 1 1/4" out of two of the short corners. You can make this "extra" any length you want. Just be sure that the ruffle shows if you made one. You can extend it all the way to the floor if you don't want a dust ruffle.
Each bed is different so I won't give specific measurements.

Lay the fabric on a piece of the quilter's fleece. You don't have to trim it exactly yet. If you want to tuft the comforter or quilt it, now is the time to do it. If you don't want to tuft or quilt you can simply lightly spray the back of the fabric with spray glue or use iron on Wonder Under to stick it to the fleece.


Personally, I like the tufted effect. It seems like the quilt looks more real if it has texture.


I cheated and used a fabric that had an all over geometric design. First I carefully basted across the quilt diagonally in both directions and then around the edge about a quarter inch in. I tufted it diagonally with one strand of embroidery floss to within 1/2" of the edge.












When I finished the tufting I trimmed the fleece 1/4" in from the edge. I turned in the edges and glued them to the back. Miter the corners.



This photo shows one of the corners. Half of the miter is done.



The inner corners are clipped diagonally and simply turned in.



With this method you don't have to line the comforter. It will be glued to the bed and never be seen.


Next cut a piece of the same fabric that you used for the bottom sheet that is 1/2" wider than the finished quilt and about 3" long. Glue a 1/4"hem on one long side and the two 3" sides.



Now glue the wrong side of the raw edge to the wrong side of the top of the quilt. It should be far enough in so that when you fold it over to the outside of the quilt about 2" will show. Tack down the sheet to the right side of the quilt with a little glue on the border of the sheet . Fit it to the bed.


Run some glue along the edge of the quilt and pin down the sides, making sure that they are even. Leave it to dry.


That's as far as we go today. Tomorrow we will do all of the pillows and trims. See you then.



ADD ON! If you are dressing a bed without a footboard you don't need to cut a square out of the corners of the coverlet. You can either just leave them square or round them by drawing a quarter circle with a glue bottle or something similar. Be sure to leave enough fabric to turn under for the hem. Then put it on the bed and glue it down all around. Just pin a couple of pleats to the bed in the bottom corners. It will look something like this , minus the lace. Sorry I didn't have a sample to show you without. The pleats show up better without.


Also, notice that the dust ruffle is one continuous piece all the way around.

3 comments:

Kathi said...

Here I am again, back to your tutorials! :D
I'm trying to make a "down" comforter for my new bed. Is there a difference between "quilter's fleece" and quilt "batting", like Mountain Mist? I want my comforter to look lofty yet be able to fold nicely on the bed. I really don't want to have to glue it or spray it with hairspray. Advice?
Thanks,
Kathi

Caseymini said...

Kathi, you probably want a low loft batting. That is the thinnest one that is still fluffy.

Caseymini said...

Kathi, you probably want a low loft batting. That is the thinnest one that is still fluffy.