Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pillow Fight!!!

Here's the third and final part of the bed saga. I promised someone that they would be able to make this bed without sewing.

I had to make up the regular bed pillow in a pillowcase as I went along. I had never done the bed pillows with glue before. I usually sew them.



You are going to need some Tampax tampon tubes(bolsters), some lined index cards, and more of the thinnest quilters fleece(not to be confused with regular fabric fleece). If you have some bonded batting of a little heavier weight that is OK for the regular pillows. I wouldn't recommend it for the bolsters tho.

I am assuming that you already have the fabric if you have gotten this far.

Take one of the tampon tubes, both parts, and cut the outer part in half. Put some glue on the inside of the outer tube. Slip the two ends over the smaller tube as the picture shows. Adjust to the size of the bed. The smaller tube that you see in the front of the photo is if you want a smaller bolster pillow for the front of the arrangement. I didn't do that one. It is done the same way as the big one.

Trace around the ends of the tube on an index card. Cut out. Attach fleece to the end pieces and trim to match. Cover the tube with fleece, butting the edges. Do not overlap. Glue this down at the seam. I try to use as little glue as possible to attach the fleece because I don't want to mat the fleece down.

Next cover this with fabric. Overlap about a quarter inch at the same place that you glued the fleece. This part will go at the bottom back of the bolster. Leave 1/2" on either end to tuck inside the tube. Put a line of glue around the inside edge of the fabric and fold into the tube ends. The eraser end of a pencil helps to tuck the fabric inside. Cover the end pieces with fabric and cut little v-s in the edges so that the fabric will be flat on the back when glued down. Then glue these end pieces over the hole in the tube.

For the regular bed pillows cut a piece of index card 5 spaces wide. Each line is 1/4" so the card can be used for measurement as well as material for the pillows. From the strip cut 2" pieces(8 spaces). Cut four pieces of fleece the same size for each pillow. Lightly glue two thicknesses of fleece to each side. Cut a piece of cover fabric 3" by 3 1/2". Put a 1/4"hem in the longer side with glue. Lay the pillow on the piece and glue as it is in the illustration. Wrap the sides around and cover the end. Run a seam of glue down the center back. Again, this will not show. Glue the hem end flat together.

I saved the best, most versatile pillow for last. These are the little square pillows on the front of the pile. They are simple to make and can be any shape that you want. I did these 1 1/4" square. You will cut two identical shapes for each pillow. Cover them with one or two thicknesses of the fleece and cover each piece separately as it shows in the photo. Miter the corners by cutting off at a 45 °angle. When you have two, glue them back to back. Trim with bunka or other braid. These can be bent to look more natural. That is the purpose of the card.


When you look at the finished bed you will see that they do not sit ON the bed. They sink down like a real pillow would.

If you are doing this kind of bed for the first time you will want to put the trim on before you put the bedspread on the bed. I confess that I did it after and it was a bit difficult to get the bunka on the end under the brass bars. I don't always do things the easy way..........It was an afterthought.

The next time you see this bed it will be in the finished Mystery House.

Please let me know if you try any of this. That's all for today.....I'm going to go lie down on my new bed.

4 comments:

Rita Tjelta said...

I love your tutorial. Thank you!!
I am going to try this one and the barrel bag as soon as I figure out where to by Tampax....a brand that is hard to find here in Norway. But I will keep on looking :D
Take care.

Caitlin said...

Your entire bed instructions were wonderful...step by step. I have many beds that are lacking bedclothes...maybe I'll try following these directions at some point.

beyondbaffled said...

This is a great tutorial (new bookmark!). I always wondered why most mini beds were sold frame only. Now I think I may be able to do this :)

Katie said...

...I come to come a long way back to find this tutorial:) Now I just need to get my hands on some 'fleece' so I can make these pillows that have been begging to be made for forever now, lol...