Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

To Beam or Not to Beam?

I finished the brick today. I learned a couple of things about working with the cork. You can bend it around corners. You can't depend on the adhesive on the back if you do. It doesn't always stick. I solved the problem with Super Glue.

You can see the bent cork at the bottom front of the floor of the fireplace.


I installed the fireplace and tried out some of the furnishings that I want to use.



Then I stained and installed the window and door. I wasn't satisfied with the mullions on the window. They were white silk screened. I covered them with wood to match the rest of the window.


I found a wonderful Colonial door latch in my stash. If you do minis you know how much fun those little teeny tiny nails are that come with this kind of thing. Actually, I did well. I only lost one. The secret to installing them is to hold them with a pair of tweezers and press them in. Don't pound. You will lose them all!


After that I did all of the baseboards and ceiling trim. I used just plain 1/4" stock. I stained it on both sides to prevent warping with Minwax cherry stain.


Here's a handy hint if you don't already know it. When you install these long, narrow pieces just put dots of glue about 3/4 to 1" apart all along the back side and put in place. That will prevent warping. The board, not being wet the whole length, gets fooled into staying straight. As you can see, I used blue tape on the top ones to hold and some pins in the baseboard. The reason I did this was to prevent floor damage with the tape. I don't think that the blue tape would hurt it, but I didn't want to take the chance.
Here's what the room looks like at present. I will be adding a shelf above the fireplace.
The title of this post was"To Beam or Not to Beam?" That is the question. Stop groaning!!!
That's what I will be thinking about for the rest of the afternoon while I clean up the kitchen(the real one) and cook dinner. Do I want ceiling beams?
Surprise! I do have a real life! The kitchen awaits.
Gotta run. See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Katie said...

The fireplace looks great! And so does the floor in the fire place!! I think it should have beams~ it would add a lot more character!