Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, April 21, 2008

It's a Corker!!

I am patting myself on the back today. I had an idea in the middle of the night and it worked! Some of my best ideas come around 2:30 in the morning. I was trying to think of an easy way to do the brick inside the fireplace in the colonial kitchen.


There was a discussion on one of the forums about making bricks with foam core. It seemed to me that it would be rather fragile. I kept rolling the idea around in the back of my head. Then I had one of those "Aha!" moments. I needed something that had texture and something that was tough enough to stand up to the rough treatment that I give bricks with washes and dry brushing. CORK!!!


I went straight to my workroom this morning and dug out a roll of adhesive backed cork shelf liner and got to work.

First I washed the inside of the fireplace with Ceramcoat Hippo Gray. This is my weapon of choice for most mortar. I like it dark.







The back of the shelf liner is the usual Contact paper 1/2" grid. That's a great time saver in the scheme of things. I cut the brick 1/4" by 3/4". That's not the exact size of modern bricks but it is close enough for Colonials. I marked the back of the paper and started cutting. I free handed the cutting. That made them a little more irregular.


When I had enough cut to line the fireplace I started peeling the backing off and sticking the bricks down one at a time. This was the most tedious part.


By the way, if you need to get the back off of this stuff a straight pin helps a lot. You can dig into the backing with the point, flick it and it will lift right off.


I was surprised to see that the cork did actually have the texture of rough brick even without the paint.

After I finished that, I dry brushed on a coat of Ceramcoat Red Tile paint. Then I gave it another wash of the Hippo Gray, following quickly with a wet paper towel to take most of it back off.



This is what it looks like so far. I fitted it into the room.


The kitchens that I am using as a jumping off spot have the fireplace built right on the slate floor like this. I can't decide whether or not to add a brick base......Decisions, decisions, decisions.


I am going to stand back and look at it for the rest of the afternoon. I also plan to start gathering the furniture and accessories that I will use in here.


I also need to stain the door and window frame today.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the results of the mad scientist experiment.

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Katie said...

What a great idea! They look like real bricks!! The best ideas do come at the weirdest hours! I came across your blog the other night, and really enjoyed it! I thought I had lost the link, but am glad to have found your page again!! Nice to meet you!!

Caitlin said...

dear mad scientist...I think you should complete the look of the brick by bringing it out as the floor to the edge of the fireplace.

Kathi said...

Your fireplace looks great! Do you think cork would work as flooring?
I might have to do an experiment over here too!

Unknown said...

That is great just think in and you've already done this but it works on cork krylon paint has one coat stone finishes I've used it for finishes on collage designs using cork squares nothing mini

Library lady said...

Wow, what a fabulous idea. Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to try it.