Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, March 21, 2008

Finishing Touches

I am there except for the sign on the outside and a few little touches on the Rusty Needle. You don't get to see until tomorrow. That will be the grand reopening. I am baking cookies as we speak.
Until then I will let you browse through the mini shop next door.


I was mistaken about the house in the window. It is actually a resin piece. I was thinking it was metal. Wrong! It was still a raw piece that I had to do all of the painting on.


This is the interior of the shop. It is mostly a collector's shop. There are only a couple of buttercup kits for sale. The armoire at the back is about 1/8" scale. All of the metal minis that I bought for it were kind of an odd size. I made the scale fit the armoire.

There may soon be mayhem in the shop. There is a rather larger frog sitting on the counter. If he is real, the way that the dog is looking at him could indicate trouble......


This is a close up of the armoire. The headboard of the bed is a hinge from a Chinese box that I had that fell apart. I kept the hardware. Most of the rest of the furniture is metal miniatures.



Here is a shot of the back shelves. The houses with the thatched roofs on the top shelf are copies of real early American houses. The thatched roof on the bottom shelf is a copy of a Sweetheart cottage the I did in 1/12 scale. The lighthouse is sculpted from poly clay and painted. Some of the other ones are kits that a friend brought back from NAME nationals a few years running.The two in the center of the second shelf are little porcelain houses from England. The house on the bottom left is a straw house from China. It is an eclectic collection. A little bit of everything from all over.


I add to the stock from time to time when I find something I like. I don't think that this shop will ever be fully finished. It is just a collection that keeps growing.

Remember! Tomorrow is the grand reopening. I hope to see you there!

2 comments:

beyondbaffled said...

I love the "mini" miniature shop! What a fabulous idea!

Unknown said...

I am fascinated by miniatures ever since CSI did episodes of the miniature serial killer. I really followed and insist not to miss episodes about it. I told myself, I would love to have that as a hobby among other things. I recently picked up a book by Margaret Grace and this is what did it. I want to be a miniaturist. I have seen a lot of blogs and plan to go through all of them before I make my first. I worry about the outcome but then I can't help but think I'd still have fun. So I found your blog and I always start from the beginning I came across this entry and I am greatly impressed and (very inspired) by your "mini" miniature shop. You are number one in my book and I find your blog extremely helpful for a beginner like me. I have become your fan. I plan to make a mini of the house I grew up in. I can't remember all the details and I have no way to check it again because it was already torn down. I will happily go through your blog and be inspired and I just want to let you know, you do GREAT WORK.