Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fixer Upper

When I got the $9.00 dollhouse it was a mystery to me. I knew it was a Duracraft and suspected that It was a Linfield but when I looked on the net, all I could find were prebuilt Linfields that didn't have a balcony over the front door like this one did. I started calling it the "Mystery House" and the name stuck. My friends on the Greenleaf Forum helped out with identifying it. It was indeed a Linfield. Evidently, somewhere along the line, Duracraft put out two different styles. One was with a balcony and one was without. I am so happy to have the one with the balcony.

I am rambling again. Sorry. The subject at hand is the fixer upper aspect of this house. It was all put together. I ripped off all of the porch and balcony railings and replaced them with some from Houseworks. The only addition that was savable was the hardwood floor on the main story. It was beautifully done with the exception the two slots that they had made to install a center wall.

When I decided not to use that, I either had to patch the floor or cover it. It seemed ashamed to lose the hardwood so I opted for a long rug in that area. It is coming along pretty well.
You can see one of the slots directly under Mookie's tummy. The other is closer to the camera.

Incidentally, permit me to introduce Mookie. This is the cat that eats miniatures. He also hides miniatures and he takes great delight in batting them across the room and under furniture. The bad part is he can also open closed doors. If he wants to get into my workroom all he does is jump up, pull down on the lever type handle and put his weight against the door. This can be a problem at times. My smaller minis seem to walk away by themselves......... I have taken to hanging something bulky from the door handle so that he can't do that so often.

One more photo. This one is my biggest problem still unfixed. The hole that you see at the left is there because whoever put the roof on didn't line up the wall and the roof right. Rather than tear off the roof, I am opting to patch. It is hard to see but there is a piece of scrap ply running along the edge of the roof line. I still need to fix the hole where the rain gets in.....

I am thinking that maybe a small piece or plywood or even some DAS might work. The hole is about 1/2" by 3/4". Wish me luck. Photos will follow when I finish.

I also still have to re install the loft over the bed. That will be a sewing area. It was another Mookie mishap. I will save that one for another day. See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Katie said...

LMAO!! I am so glad I am not alone with the cat issue. We have 3 kitties...one who could care less about anything but getting pet, one that likes to take naps in our roomboxes.....and then we have Otis. Otis likes to chew things~ especially my dollhouse furniture. (I swear he is really a dog trapped in a cats body!) I caught him just last night, sinking his teeth into my new bed posts. Luckily, it adds character and 'age', and he hasn't really destroyed anything yet. He has; however, borrowed a few items from my daughter's Barbie~ he loves playing with the pillows?!?! Oh~ and when she's playing Barbies, I have to put him in another room or he tries to be King Kong! ...And he tried to eat a package I got in the mail the other day~ luckily what was inside was protected by bubble wrap~ the box looks like a vampire took a bite out of it!! Too funny!! Nice to met you Mookie!!

Jollie said...

Lovely house, I will read more of your blog from the stat on ;)

I had a cat once who opened doors and I have change the handles by taking them of and putting them back on pointing upwards (hope you understand what I am trying to say lol!)
I still have a cat who like to 'steal' my stuff (also minis) and hide them at a place really really hard to find for me... under a dresser in the most deep corner... and so ;)
Hope I don't have one that actualy is gonna eat my minis :( till now they just see the minis as a cute little cat toy! ;)

Hugs, Jollie

12Create said...

This made me laugh. I also had a cat when I was young called 'Big Ears' who opened doors. She also worked out that if it didn't open the mat was probably in the way and would pull the mat away from the door and try again. It was mostly funny to watch visitors' reactions when the back door would open and only a cat would walk in. The one time it wasn't funny was when Mum and Dad forgot to tell a babysitter about the cat and they spent the night stressing about who had opened the back door (well it wasn't funny for the babysitter anyway). Whoever said cat's aren't clever was so wrong.