Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, May 5, 2016

"I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can!"

That was Tessie's reply when I asked her if she had the swags all pleated and ready to go.

I have been making roses and she was supposed to finish the swags... Oh well.  I have the whole afternoon to do that.

I cut out the pieces... She seems to have lost the pin box.

Whilst she was supposed to be pleating, I was making 20 roses to decorate said swags. 

In case you haven't seen this done before, here goes.

I am using a tool that used to be a tapestry needle.  size 24 if I remember right. 

Anyway, I cut the end of the eye off many years ago and drilled a hole in a dowel.  Then glued the point of the needle into the hole and let it dry.

Now, about building roses...

For this bunch, I am using variegated ribbon. 
That is so that it will match the bed.  The roses on there are this same ribbon.

I start by sliding about a quarter of an inch into the slot.  Then I put a dab of white glue on the end.  Fold it over and start twisting the ribbon around itself.  The first turn I make in the ribbon is just after I use up the folded over part.  I turn the ribbon towards myself and again put a dab of glue on the part the is turned down. That is the last fold towards myself. Then I start folding the ribbon away from myself and glue again as I roll it around the rest of the rose.

 It does take a little practise, but it's fun, once you get the hang of it. I did 20 roses in about an hour and cut some leaves from the green ribbon.  They are simply snipped diagonally and then straight across.  The white that will be baby's breath, is unraveled bunka that has been snipped into short pieces.

Now if I can just get the swags pinned and sprayed, we will be ready to assemble the whole thing tomorrow.

See you then.

1 comment:

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
the roses look lovely!
Thank you for the how to.
Big hug