Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, July 14, 2014

I Have a Sinking Feeling...


that this house is never going to get done, at this rate...

But I am making progress...

I found something to make the sink.  This morning I went around the workroom and for a change, it was a pleasure.  Everything was just where I expected it to be.

Mind you, I still haven't located the lead golfer's tape, but so far that's the only thing on my list of missing in action...


I did find  a gourd that was cut and ready for basket making.  Perfect size for the bathroom sink. 

I wasn't worried about the holes.  Those will be filled with gesso, when I start to do the finish on the sink.

I went straight to the drawer, where I keep the cardboard dividers from Widget's canned cat food boxes.  I use those for various and sundry crafts, besides minis.  Great material.

I  cut a piece three inches tall, running with the grain of the cardboard up and down, so that it would be easy to bend without dents.  I just did it the width of the cardboard. 

I bent it around the edge of the gourd.  I did that half way and then got the back edges, where it would hit the wall, even.

I cut two pieces to brace the inside, by using the top edge of the gourd for a guide.  Then extending the edges back to the length of the sides.

I glued those inside.  One at the line for the bottom of the sink and the other about a quarter inch from the bottom.

Then I cut one more that would sit on top of the structure and cover the edges of the top.  I placed the gourd face down at the center front and traced around and cut the hole out where the sink would be.

Then I sprayed the whole thing with Patricia Nimmock's Spray Sealer to keep all of the paint and other things from soaking into the cardboard.

I cut three quarter circles from 1/4" foam core. I glued those at one inch intervals, starting at the top.

We need room to stack towels and other necessities.

Tessie zapped it away, mid construction and I found it in the house.  She wanted to make sure that it would fit...It did.

I took it away from her and put the first coat of gesso on it.

She is now watching me like a hawk...  She informed me that she expected hardware to match the things in the tub and maybe a bit of pargeting?

No problem.  That will be the last thing I do though.  It needs a coat of spackle now.  And paint.

I won't show you a photo, but she disappeared.  Then she reappeared a couple of seconds later carrying one of the new sharp, pointy sticks. 

She has been waving it in the air, like a madwoman... Shouting orders of what to do next.

I guess I should get back to work, before she pokes me again... Ouch!

See you tomorrow, with finished sink and a lot of band aids.

11 comments:

elizabeth s said...

Hi Casey! I love what you are doing with the Bathroom sink! How wonderful to be able to incorporate storage in this little unit!. Using the gourd for the sink bowl was a brilliant idea as well. And before I forget, the raised design around the bathroom door and on the tub that you contrived so well, looks just right for the Exotic theme that your interpreting. Lovin it!

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. Nice Sink! Genius idea!
Is the famous "cat food cardboard" like shirt cardboard or more like corrugated cardboard?
The house is getting close to being finished.
Phyllisa


Julie said...

ooooo I'm watching your bathroom building with keen interest, Casey! I love the interesting 'bits and pieces' you use to build wonderful items for all your houses and room boxes.
Thanks for sharing- as a newbie it is valuable learning for me.
I am also going through your past posts and learning a lot- a great reference!

Mary said...

Great start Casey, really creative! And I'm sure it will look terrific when it's finished. Like Tessie, I can't wait to see the final product.

BTW, does Tessie do contract work? I'd like to hire her to supervise a new front door installation that seems to be taking longer than it ought to...

Simon said...

I love it! I love how inventive you are! This sink looks really great and the shelves from foam board are inspired.
Great job!
Si

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
The sink unit is fantastic. I love the design. I can't wait to see more.
big hug,
Giac

Lucille said...

What a nice sink, Casey! Such a brilliant idea to use a gourd. And I love the little shelves! I hope you're not in too bad condition from the sharp objects Tessie's been using on you! She is a hard task master, isn't she?

Unknown said...

Oi Casey,
Ficando bem legal.
Nanda

mcddiss said...

me encanta este mueble de lavabo , nadie diria que solo es carton y una calabaza
estoy deseando ver ese mueble terminado

besitos

Mari

chapchap73 said...

Hi Casey! Love the sink...the shelves on the side are genius. I also really like the technique you are using for around the door. How is 1/2 scale Tessie doing? I hope those pointy sticks are too heavy for her to lift:D Hugs, Sarah

Fabiola said...

I like your bathroom sink. Great idea!