Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Two Out of Three. Not Bad?

Guess where I am this morning....Yup.  Back in the workroom. 

Remember the two tin wall sconces and the candlestick that I tried out in Zar's room?  I threw them in a basket in the workshop when I decided not to use them.

They would be perfect for the crooked house.  I found two.  Thus the title.  They will have to have new bulbs if I use them.  They died while I was trying them out in the other room.

I can't for the life of me, find the third one.  So...The workroom will get some straightening this morning.

I thought of another source for information.  I did a scrapbook both times we went to England. 

I remembered that we went down to Portsmouth with my friend Ronnie and her husband to see the Maritime Museum there. 

One of the great things that we saw there was the Mary Rose.  It was the flagship of  Henry VIII.  In the museum itself there was an extensive display of things that they found on the ship. The photo to the left is just a small sample of all of the stuff. 

The time period is right for the cottage, so I will be copying some of the things there. 

I did go through the photos and didn't find even one plaster covered chimney.

I dug out the back of the chimney on the ground floor of the cottage. 

It is a manila envelope paper with other pieces of paper stuck on top, then painted.  Interesting technique, but I would like some contrast of the mortar between the bricks. 

I think that this will lead to some experimentation.

I keep looking at the chimney and trying to decide what to do...

I thought of another option.  See the crack on the top right corner of the photo?  That whole section had to be glued back on when I first got the house.  I am now wondering if I could just do some brick work in a couple of areas like that and make it look like it has been plastered and is falling off of the brick. 

While I think, I clean....Two jobs being done at once.  Designing in my head and cleaning with my hands!

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

elizabeth s said...

Hi Casey! I love the brick work that you have done so far! I understand about the mortar concern but the brick pattern is great! You seem to be finding the right solutions for this project and it is looking very authentic already! :D

elizabeth

Caseymini said...

Elizabeth, I didn't do the brickwork on the crooked house. That is what was on there. I have done a lot of brickwork on other structures though, so if I do decide to do it, I know how to do it several different ways.

Phyllisa said...

Casey. I like the "brick/plaster"
option! I recall you did that on the book store and I thought is was very
intriguing.
Phyllisa