Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, September 30, 2013

And the Cold Goes On...

Yes.  It's still here, but I am going to work around it for a little while.

When I had the privilege of repairing a Eugene Kupjack room box at the Mini Time Museum, we found to our surprise, that When something didn't really show in one of his rooms, he faked it. 

If Mr. Kupjack could get away with it, so can I.

In the original Bloomie's room, the desk sits nestled in behind the fireplace.  I decided to do the same.  If I put it back there, it solves the lighting problem and saves space.  Good thinking on their part.

I grabbed a piece of Japanese crate wood and cut it to size.  Then I drew lines !/2" in from the edges.

I used some scrap copper wire for legs to match the chair legs.

I bent the center of the wire around the widest part of my round nosed pliers, so that they would all be the same. 

Then I marked 2 1/2" up and bent the wires at that spot.

That gave me something to glue to the table bottom.

I glued them on so that each wire hit one of the lines diagonally.  That way, I was sure of the placement.

After it was dry, I painted the whole thing black. 

From this angle, only about a half inch of the far corner shows, behind the fireplace.

I moved the hanging light over there too and it seems to be a better location to combat shadows.

The bookworms are just stuck up with masking tape for placement purposes.  The top one will be higher than it is in the photo.

We are so close to the end!  Only a day or two until the housewarming party!  You are all invited.

Tessie finally wormed her way into the prime spot and I doubt that she will move from there until after the housewarming party.

Time for a nap....

See you tomorrow...Hopefully a few steps closer.

11 comments:

Marisa said...

I hope your cold is better I had one all this weekend and Im totally spent

Hugs
Marisa :)

Rietje said...

WOW casey!! The room looks so nice.
I love the bookworms. Want to have them in real size.

Unknown said...

This cottage is charming. I just love it. Very nice chair tucked away in corner. Blessings from Kathy C in ILLinois

elizabeth s said...

Hi Casey! I think that this scene is Really Working! Your fire and fireplace chimney and the lighting and the shelving that were formerly giving you grief, have all been wonderfully resolved and the results are Terrific!
I shall definitely be coming to your house warming; Thank you! I sure hope that you will be feeling better soon. I am currently ( sniff) fighting the onset of a cold myself. Not fun :(

elizabeth

Véronique said...

Love the room box. Tessie does look rather comfortable. Maybe you should get in there and relax by the fire with a hot Toddy. That ought to kill the cold. Looking forward to the house warming party! Anything special we should bring? ;-)

Veronique

Véronique said...

Love the room box. Tessie does look rather comfortable. Maybe you should get in there and relax by the fire with a hot Toddy. That ought to kill the cold. Looking forward to the house warming party! Anything special we should bring? ;-)

Veronique

Cara said...

I really love how this is all coming together! I sure hope your cold hits the highway soon.

Lené said...

I love how dollhouses are like a very crazy puzzle - and the satisfaction when you find pieces that fit together. Well done, this is a beautiful room setting.

Lisains said...

Really nice cold and all. I hope you feel better soon if not sooner

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
I have been out of blogworld for a week or some for health issues and you cannot imagine the look on my face when I saw how far along you are with this room. It is stunning, interesting, and just plain wonderful. I love it! Terrific work!
Big hug,
Giac

Deni said...

Looks great! well the 1/2inch we see! lol
Great idea for a table!