Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Too Lazy to Sew....

I spent the morning in the back yard raking, hula hoeing and pulling weeds....Not a lot of fun.

When i got back inside, I thought about what I could do whilst sitting down.  Yup...Lazy.

I decided on finishing the wicker wing chair.  I have told you how to do this a number of times on the blog, but I decided to run a quick refresher course on lazy pillow making.

I got started by cutting two identical pieces of card stock for each pillow.  Then I glued those down to a strip of light weight quilter's batting.  Not the fluffy kind.

I trimmed the pieces to the same size as the card stock squares.  Then I cut a piece of fabric about 1/2" larger all around.

I glued two opposite sides to the back.  Then I put glue on the other sides, one at a tome and turned the corners under as you see above.  It's kind of like wrapping a package.

I wanted some cording of the same material, so I laid a thick line of glue along one edge of the fabric and put  length of #5 Perle cotton  in the center.  Then I used my thumbnail to make sure that the cord was fully enclosed.  I pushed the fabric up against the Perle cotton as close as I could get it.  I let it dry and then cut the excess fabric very close to the crease. Then I glued it in the seam between the two halves of the pillow.
I have used this technique on all kinds of furniture and draperies for many years.  It works like a charm as long as you get enough glue on it and don't cut it so close that you uncover part of the cord inside.

Once the glue is dry, you can scrunch these pillows by bending the whole thing.  It will stay bent and look kind of squashed.

Anyway, now I have a place to sit and do things in the cottage....If  I can shrink down and get there before Tessie does....The odds don't look to good...Gotta go.

See you tomorrow.

8 comments:

Giac said...

Hello Casey,
I disagree: facing the elements outdoors and working on a project after does not constitue laziness! The pillows are beautiful. i hope your garden will be as beautiful as your minis.
Big hug,
Giac

Cara said...

Thanks for the refresher, Casey. And what in the world is hula hoeing? LOL

Caseymini said...

Cara, it is a brand of hoe. It kind of looks like a stirrup at the end of a handle that is sharp on both edges so that it goes under the top layer of soil to take out weeds and small unwanted plants. I guess the hula part is because you kind of wiggle it back and forth to get it to work? Maybe?

12Create said...

The pillows look great. Looking at the photo I wouldn't have picked they are glued with cardboard in them. I must remember that tip.

The grandmommy said...

The new Math...half day of hula hoing = whole day of mini-ing! LOL

mcddiss said...

esos cojines han quedado muy bien y con una tecnica muy sencilla , gracias

besitos

Mari

Fabiola said...

I like your chair with these pillows.
Greetings, Faby

Unknown said...

Great pillow idea! I struggle with sewing a straight line so this is perfect for me..THANK YOU!!