Tuesday, October 30, 2012
I had a wooden box with a recessed lid just sitting on a shelf. I had a large cone of Peaches and Cream natural colored cotton and I had Aileen's Tacky glue that had been sitting open a while to thicken it.
All set to go.
Then I took one end and started dipping it in the glue. I spread it on with my fingers, making sure to get it well covered. You could probably use a pair of rubber gloves to do this part. I didn't have any. Hey! White glue washes off easily. I did the whole length of the yarn. All pieces.
Starting at the base of the tree, I arranged them into a trunk shape, separating them strands to form roots.
I twisted as I went up. About half way I split the trunk into a couple of limbs.
As I went, I pressed them firmly to the wood of the box. At this point, they are easily maneuverable...It gets harder as you go because the glue starts drying. I kept a wet cloth within reach to keep them moist.
When I got the branches arranged the way that I wanted them, I let them dry a bit.
The next step was to cover the whole thing with gesso. The first coat went on white. I will do another coat using the color of my choice.
I have to wait for the gesso to dry now. After I get the second coat, with color on it, I will antique the whole thing with a darker color to make the tree stand out.
Shades of the 60s and 70s. We used to decorate stuff with this technique. It was much less complicated. Geometric designs and straight lines.
I am going to have to do some more experimenting. This could come in handy for all kinds of moldings and other trim in mini.
I am going to wait for the gesso to dry and do some knitting whilst it does....
See you tomorrow.