Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Room To Move...

I love it when a plan comes together! I decided to go with the skylight. Let's just say that somebody, sometime, modified the roof line.

This morning I measured the length and width of the skylight. Then I put the measurements in the center of the roof. The three courses of already laid shingles were at the perfect height for the wall of the house and the front wall of the skylight to match....No. I didn't measure. I was just lucky....

I then measured in 3/8" from the lines. That gave me a cutting line that would match the opening of the skylight.

I am now thinking that I may block the two bottom windows. They aren't needed and were strangely placed in the original kit. It's easy enough to do. I will simply cover them with mat board or even poster board.

See the piece that is leaning against the front of the building? That's the piece that I cut out of the roof. I did it with an Exacto knife. It was a little more time consuming, but left a narrower path between the pieces than a saw would. If I had decided that I didn't like the skylight, it would have been easy to glue the piece back in place. But I do like the skylight, so now I have some extra wood, if I need it.

Here's the inside. Two and a half extra inches makes a world of difference. Tessie and Zar can now both stand upright next to the front wall. No more crouching down to get around the loom.


Speaking of the loom, if Tessie opts to put it in with the seat slid back to the far wall, there is lots of room for other things in the room....

Here's proof. I doubt that I will get a lot more done today. Tessie won't budge. She is happily weaving away.


Zar "borrowed" a chair from the potions room in the townhouse, unbeknownst to Cordelia. She won't miss it. That room is one in which she is not allowed, per the rental agreement.


All in all, I am pleased with what is happening so far.


I should build the foundation, so that I can start making some things permanent. Notice I said should....I am enjoying taking parts of the house wherever I want and working on them whilst watching Netflix.


I am off to mini work now.


See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

Troy said...

The skylight or "roof window" looks great! Do a google search for roof windows for some more design ideas! Keep up the good work.

Caseymini said...

Thanks Troy. I already did that...Most of those are way too modern for what I have in mind. The "Images" search is the first place I hit for ideas.

This is going to be more rustic than the ones pictures.

Lucille said...

Does Tessie have a rental agreement with Cordelia? After all, she took over her house?!! I doubt it! That Tessie is much too clever for that!I love that skylight! You're right about those two windows not being necessary. Also, they're so low!

dalesdreams said...

The sky light was such a great idea! :)

Unknown said...

Natural light to weave by! Great idea!

jeanuhlik said...

Bet you think I quit reading your blog...not on your life! Just been reading on the "down-low" got a couple of new grandbabies to keep me busy, not to mention the purchase of still another RGT kit. Thanks for the idea on the sky light, it's too awesome!!! Tess and Zar are soooo funny! ((HUGGS))

Norma Bennett said...

It really is a brilliant idea, it opens up the room so much, and certainly Tessie seems pleased with it - what more could you ask for? :)

Sandra said...

Love the skylight idea - practical and attractive too.
Sandie

Giac said...

I LOVE IT!
Brilliant! It creates such a great space...Good work Casey!