Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Very Old Mini....

This morning I decided to use this piece somewhere in the house. The poor thing deserves a new home.

This is the very first miniature furniture that I ever made by copying a real life piece. It is actually a 1" scale Early American "bible box".

It was in a book of antiques and at the time, I didn't know any better than to use balsa wood to build fine furniture....Duh! It has stood up pretty good, but it has a lot of dings and scratches.

The only tools I had was a metal ruler and an Exacto knife...Oh and some sandpaper. I was even silly enough to make it with dove tail corners. Very crude, but I was proud of it. And I carved the ball feet. The top actually opens, but I didn't know how to make hinges of any sort, so I put an interior piece of balsa on the lid to keep it in place. The painting on the front was copied with a fine brush and I think that is the best part. That's why I have kept it for over almost 30 years now.

Strangely, I have never used it as a one inch scale piece. It has lived in several half scale houses as a blanket chest. As a first try, I don't think that it is too bad.

I painted a first coat on all of the brick parts of the Fairfield this morning. I think that it needs a different name. Somehow, Fairfield doesn't fit what I have in mind.

I also did a second coat on the clapboard. I am still trying to decide what I am going to do with the trim, inside and out.

The living room is coming closer and closer to being rehabbed. I just don't like that wallpaper at all. It's too green.....

Tessie has finally come to the realization that there is no way that she is going to be able to use this house. She did try a few different shrinking spells, but she couldn't seem to get them to the right size. I think that it may have something to do with the fact that she has already done a clone of herself in quarter scale....No..I am not going to tell her my theory. I don't really want three of her running around here.

I had to pull her out the front door this morning....She insisted on posing for photos and got stuck. She couldn't go backwards and she kept trying to get herself out without turning sideways. A little axle grease and a lot of tugging did the trick. I don't think that she is going in there again for a while...

I have to get back to it. If I don't, the six year old mind(She is getting bored now...) may take over and start something else. We wouldn't want that now....Would we?

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

The house is coming along nicely, Casey! I'm eyeing mine as I write this. Love the chest - it may appear crude to you, but I'm very impressed.

xo
Claudia

Norma Bennett said...

Well, as first mini attempts go I think this would have to take the prize. I can't imagine how you managed to make dovetail joints with balsa! That alone deserves an award. It certainly has a great deal of charm.

Looking forward to seeing progress on the 'Fairfield' continue - and curious about the new name...

Caseymini said...

Norma, I did a lot of things back then just because nobody told me that I couldn't or shouldn't be able to do them. Those dovetails were made more than once to get them to stay together. Now I turn my nose up at balsa. Not because I was told not to use it, but because, by trial and error, I have found that Bass and hardwoods are easier to work with in the long run.

Morena Ciambra Dreamartdolls said...

Wow! Love the chest! Your house is going to be beautiful! Thank you for sharing your work! I love seeing the progress that you are making. Hugs, Morena

ultsu said...

It is very interesting to follow what you are going to do with the house.
I like the chest, for a first attempt it's stunning.