Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, October 14, 2011

Done in a Flash....Almost.

After I left you yesterday, I did some more of the black work. I used the "darning" method to finish it. That is, I did it in running stitches and one element of the design at a time, instead of finishing each motif before going on to the next.

I found, by doing this, several new borders that would be nice on miniature linens.

I did three rows of running stitches, four threads apart as called for in the pattern. Then I made the center four thread stitches into double cross stitches. That made a nice, simple border.

When I added the outer border of cross stitches with vertical short stitches between and the two inner stitches of the pattern, it looked a bit more complicated, but still interesting.

Last I went back and added the final diagonal stitches to finish the design.

Doing it this way, I cut down on the time it took considerably.

Tessie cheated. She finished her part by using the needle as a wand and cast a spell on her side of the coverlet. Next time I am not going to bother....I am just going to let her do it.


I moved it in by the computer to take the last photo. Better light.

I am happy with just the border on it. The rest of the bed is so busy that it is better to keep it simple.

Now all I need to do is finish the bedroom..."Tessie! Grab that needle and start waving it around again!"

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Kathi said...

This turned out really pretty. You are a fast stitcher too! It takes me about 15 minutes just to thread a needle! Bad eyes. Big problem.

Glad you washed Tessie's feet. It would be a shame for her to step on this and get dirty little foot prints all over it!

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

You and Tessie make good magic together, this is beautifully elegant.

Judith said...

I love the blackwork coverlet Casey, and you're right, the border is just enough - anything else would probably look too much with the patterned bed covers. The whole bed looks gorgeous! Tessie is a very lucky little witch! Judith x