Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Junk This and Start Again....

This morning I set out to make a refrigerator of some sort, with Zar's assistance. By the time we finished, he was grumbling under his breath, "I'd rather do it myself....This is not what I had in mind."

I am a brave soul. I will show you the icky one. Then when we make a better one you will at least be impressed with the progress...

I started with a toilet roll, some Duck brand metallic peel and stick shelf liner. I had in mind, stainless steel.

It didn't meet my expectations. Zar was practically hissing and booing!

Oh well. Learning curve and all that. Just let me say that the peel and stick doesn't work well with curved surfaces...At least not in this case. It was very difficult to get it to stay turned to the inside of the tube.If I did it again, I would probably just cut it off at the edges.

I jazzed it up with all kinds of embellishments and it turned out OK....But very ugly.

Before I figured out that I was using a very old roll of copper tape, it was too late to switch. The tape stuck where I didn't want it to stick and didn't stick where I wanted it to.

I have to say that the refrigerator worked. It must have. It attracted penguins! These guys took over. It's a good thing that Zar put a chain on the door to keep it closed. They got it open and stood there taking in all of the cool air that they could.

Finally Zar shooed them away and took the cooling unit into the trailer. It fits well, so whatever we make to replace it will be the same size.

He says that he would like a unit that matches the cabinet. I have to agree. I think this one is a little much. Tessie says that he can have the refrigerator, as long as she gets to play with the penguins while he is working on it.

I am in the middle of installing the sink. The counter is marbleized. I will show you that when I am finished with the counter, etc.

I have had enough unsuccessful fun for today...

See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Minteriors said...

Using materials whose "life" has expired does at times produce unsatisfactory results, but from the look of it, you have an original prototype on your hands! Where do you come up with all of these original ideas? Amazing. Most entertaining!

Sandra said...

I wish I had half the creativity you have! It's great that Tessie gets new playmates at least out of the experience. Hope she has fun with the penguins. Will Zar get his wish for a fridge that matches the cabinet? Not sure whether he helps or hinders with all his grumbling vbg.

Kathi said...

The "fridge" looks like a beer keg to me. I think you should keep it.
But then, maybe you don't want Tessie to have access to beer. She is crazy enough already...

Claudia said...

I like the fridge, Casey! It may not be exactly the way you want it , but it's pretty neat all the same.

xo
Claudia

Merri said...

I have to say I like the fridge too, although if it had a copper coil, it might also pass for a still, LOL.

Penguins huh? Is penguin poo good fertilizer? Perhaps you should encourage them to stick around, so Zar can have a nice Victory Garden.

LOL, today my word verification resembles Quetzalcoatl, the name of the Mexican feathered serpent. Not as many letters but enough that it looks like a nickname.

Caseymini said...

You all would have to see the first try in person to see how truely ugly it was! I had a great time ripping it apart this morning. All gone. Tessie already has a still in her workroom. No need for another one. She is very generous with it. She gets her share of whatever is brewed...

Nina said...

I also think it's worth keeping. It's very "steampunky". Maybe Tessie can use it to brew something interesting. Or maybe I shouldn't give her any ideas!