Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Oops! Missed One!

I hear people say, all the time, that they hate the brown stuff that comes in the Chrysnbon kits to stain them.....That's just the problem. It isn't a stain. It is really more of a paint.

To make it look right, you have to be patient and don't try to get it even or finish in one coat.

When I first started in minis, I was fortunate enough to have someone show me how to use this stuff the right way.

See this first photo? On the side you will see a very uneven coat of the brown gunk. That's how it should look.

Like the marble technique, it should be worked wet. Taking one side at a time, I start with a coat just to get it going....Then I go back and do it again....

You just have to be patient and have a Kleenex handy. If you don't like what is happening, wipe it off. Sometimes just a partial wipe will actually make it look like wood. Other times, you just have to add more of the mixture and move it around some. Don't be afraid of it. You are making wood. Think grain. Work in that direction. Chrysnbon kits are grained just like regular wood would be. You can see the texture running in one direction or another. Just follow the grain lengthwise with your brush. If it starts to dry too fast, add the tiniest bit of water to your brush. The a bit of the paint and go back in and start moving the paint around again.


I have never had any problem with this particular finish. In fact, I really like it. You can add as much or as little as you like.

I did all of these pieces in about an hour....I still need to paint the handles and apply them.

After I finished finishing, Tessie dragged in this....


I thought that I had done all but the wood burning range...Nope. One ice box left too. OK.....I put that together, but I don't have time to stain it before I leave for mini witches. Now it is one partially down and one to go. I am thinking that the stove is going to stay in the box for a while. I want to play a different game now. Here comes the mind set of the six year old again.

See you tomorrow.

7 comments:

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. I love those Chrysnbon kits. Some of them are hard to come by now.
I have used the technique you ex-
plained (recommended by Chrysnbon)
to paint their kits with other colors. My blue miniature house has some of the kitchen pieces painted with DecoArt Americana French Grey/Blue.I have the round table and chairs,the china cabinet and the rolling tea cart. It is the exact color of the blue Chrysnbon. I left the stove black and the dry sink woodtone. Now I would like to find an ice box to paint blue.
Is the zebra dresser going in Tessie's Townhouse?
Phyllisa

Caseymini said...

Phyllisa, you should know by now that everything goes to Tessie....As yet, the Zebra chest hasn't been found an exact home. Hopefully she will decide soon.

Ludmila said...

Hi, Casey. I love your blog. Every day I go. You can put the gadget translator. I do not speak English and I find it hard to understand what is written.

Thank you:)
Hugs, Ludmila

Plushpussycat said...

Good tips on how to paint kit items. Thank you ever so much! :-)

Phyllisa said...

Hi Casey. Thanks for your response.
I was just looking at www.miniatures.
com and for the first time I noticed
they have a "Projects and Hints"
section. Cool! There is a landscaped
Tudor Cottage that is precious! It is in the "More" section.
Phyllisa

Caseymini said...

Ludmilla, I have tried several times to add a translator. Something isn't working right with google or blogger. I can't get it to work on my blog or to translate the blogs of others for myself.

I will try again when I have some spare time. sorry that it isn't working.

Deni said...

I luv Chrysnbon I have only had a couple of pieces
Thanks for the tutorial its fab
thank you Casey