I started working on it this morning. I am using 1/4" balsa for the foundation. I never use balsa for wooden furniture. It won't stand up to the dents and dings. I do use it for upholstered
pieces because it is very sturdy for those.
I had to do this by guess and by gosh. I had no measurements. The sofa in the photo looks pretty long. I could fit an 8 foot sofa in the townhouse, but I think that it would look a bit crowded. I settled for about 7 1/2 feet.(") I do kind of like the teardrop shaped bench to the left also...
Anyway, I simply drew a 7 1/2" X 3" rectangle and then free formed the boomerang shape onto that until I thought it looked about right. I did have to trim a bit here and there after I cut out the basic shape.
I slanted the bottom of the back just a bit by sanding. Then I rounded all of the top edges of both pieces. It is all going to be padded, but it will look better without any hard edges underneath.
The next step was to see if it worked for Tessie. She said, "It will be satisfactory"....Glowing words for her...
She did insist that it be the same red as the photo. All I had was a small piece of red velveteen. That was just a shade too dark for her taste.
She rummaged around the workroom for a bit when my back was turned. When I looked back at her, she was perched on the new sofa with a pet bug in her lap....No not an insect. It was a red VW beetle. She petted it's back and cooed, "This is the exact shade I want....Hmmmm.....I seem to recall seeing a tee shirt this same red in your closet. You are going to have to make the sacrifice. I want it!"
The things that I have to do to make her happy are criminal! By this time tomorrow, I may not have a red shirt, but I am sure that, one way or another Tessie will have a new, completed sofa.
See you tomorrow.....Shirtless....Er, I mean less one shirt.