Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Promised You a Rose Garden....

Remember the tissue paper streamer that Tessie dragged back from Vegas? She insisted that it would make lots of roses. I made 12 in the last hour. Not even a dent was made in the streamer......Rose garden anyone?
I haven't seen this particular method of rose making posted anywhere yet, but it is quick and easy in real life with crepe paper, so it should be semi-easy in mini.

I first learned to do this in sixth grade.....Long, long ago. The school that I went to had a "Rose Prom" for the eighth graders every year, just before graduation. It was up to the sixth, seventh and eighth graders to make thousands of roses from crepe paper to decorate the ugly gym. I am not kidding about the number. It was tradition.

Anyway, there were two ways to make them. The first was the traditional, single petal method. The second was this. By the time we had made so many, it got really tiresome and we just wanted to get them finished. One of the teachers came up with this method. It is like the gigantic Mexican paper flowers are done and much faster than the other method. The petals are done in one long strip.

For the mini version, I used my scalloped pinking shears. You could use any scalloped edge scrap booking scissors as well. I cut one edge of the tissue paper in a straight line with the pinking shears and then cut a straight side about a quarter inch away. I cut the scallops in groups of ten to a strip.

Then I put glue on the bottom half of three of the petals and folded that part back on itself over a piece of wire. Next I rolled the wire back on the glued part until I had what you see here.

The rest of the scallops get glue across the bottom and then you kind of scrunch that up as you wrap it around the wire.

It should look something like this when you run out of scallops. After it is dry, you can fluff it up and make the petal edges curve out naturally.

Next, I used a little sunburst punch for the part at the base of the rose. I cupped it and cut out about 1/4 of the piece and then twirled the 3/4 part around the base.

I punched out some leaves and cupped them. Then I stuck two to each stem on opposite sides. You can do more if you want to make it into a bush. I only used a few because Tessie wants them for a bouquet for her townhouse.

If I were doing bushes, I would use a lot more.

This method gets the job done in a flash and they look pretty good when finished. I hope you will have a go at it.

I may just have to make a few more at the Wednesday Witches mini meeting today. Got to go get ready now.

See you tomorrow.

14 comments:

FabShabbyRoses said...

That sounds like a great way to make roses! And you can remember back to 6th grade? Oh my. Wish I could! And hey did Tessie get a new dress to wear to Vegas? I don't remember seeing that being made for her. Or did she pick it up in a little boutique along the way? Love those spider webs! And the trim around the bottom! Awesome!
Carolyn

Susanne said...

Thanks for the tip. Say hello to Tessie from me ;-)
Love, Susanne

The Old Maid said...

Thank you for sharing this brilliant method! It is so simple and fast :)

Debbie said...

Thanks for the tutorial Casey. Your little Roses look very effective. xx

Unknown said...

So simple nad the effect is great!
Thank you for sharing this method with us!

sabihax

Unknown said...

Simple y perfecto. Gracias por compartirlo. Saludos. Carmen

onbeingaminimum said...

Great tip Thanks very much for sharing.

dalesdreams said...

The roses are great. :)

Sounds like Tessie had a good time on her trip.

Jo Raines said...

Beautiful and simple to boot! I will give it a try. Been meaning to make some roses and this is a good method. incidentally, my erstwhile Dremel has yet to show up! I'm beginning to think Tessie has it somewhere.

Jody

Caseymini said...

I'm glad that all of you like the rose tut.
Carolyn, yes Tessie got a new apron before the trip. She is going to have to break down and let me make her a new dress pretty soon. This one is getting kind of grungey looking. And that is about the only thing I remember from the sixth grade.....

Jody, I did find my Dremel, but didn't find yours. I fear that it is in your house somewhere. Look behind the books on the bookcase in your family room if you have one. That's where i found mine....

Susanne, Tessie says "Hi!".

Oh, and btw, I used plain old white glue for the roses. Forgot to say that. Maybe I should go back and add that tomorrow.

Ingrid said...

Thank you for the tip.Your roses are beautiful
groetjes Ingrid

Anonymous said...

This is great Casey. I am just working on flowers for my garden now and roses was one I wanted to try. I like this method and will try them. Thanks for your great how to's. I might even try the hyacinths even though I am going for a summer garden.

Norma Bennett said...

Both of these flowers look great, I've bookmarked the page to come back to when the mood to make some flowers strikes - thanks :)

Deni said...

Yes I think I will too Norma
they are really easy and look fabulous!
Thank you Casey!