Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, February 1, 2010

It's Been a Month.....

I was doing laundry and cleaning up after the weekend like I always do on Monday. I am in a rut.

I heard a lot of rattles and thumps coming from Tessie's sewing box as I strolled by with a mop and broom in hand. It got louder. I finally lifted the lid on one side and up popped Tessie. I could barely see her for the pile of fabric that she was carrying.

As she rose from the depth of the box, she whined, "I have been wearing this bubble thing for a month. I am no longer celebrating the New Year! 2010 is already a month gone!......I need something to wear for February."

She found the red and white Valentine's fabric that she had stashed. So much for cleaning the real house.

"If I am going to have to wear the same thing for days and days, I want it at least be appropriate for the season." she said.

So.......I pulled out needle, thread, scissors and glue, and went to work.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time on the new outfit. Don't tell her, but I basically turned her apron pattern around on her and left out a couple of pieces.

I needed a 2 1/2" X6" piece for the skirt part. a piece that was the length around her waist for the belt part and two doubled over and glued straps, long enough to fit from front to back and be tucked under the waist band.

I hemmed the sides and bottom of the skirt with glue. then I gathered the part to go under the belt.

I doubled over the shoulder straps with glue and trimmed the to size. I hemmed the top and bottom of the waist band with glue and turned the ends in so that they were just a bit smaller than her waist. She absolutely refuses to stand still for fittings. She is very lucky that I put up with sewing for her at all!

Anyway, to make it quickly, I simply glued the waistband to the top of the gathered skirt. I glued the shoulder straps to the front and back on either side, matching the front edges to the front edges of the waist band.

I put a bit of trim on the skirt with glue and then I literally sewed her into it with three strands of embroidery thread lacing the front of the waist band. It will come off now that I have the fabric pierced for lacing.

She is now running around the house, showing it to anybody that will even pretend to be interested. I am off the hook for today.

She poked her head into the room where I was working and quickly said, before going on her merry way, "I am going to need that closet very soon!" Then off she went toward Zar's place.

Back to the real world. Laundry is waiting.

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Deni said...

Thats gorgeous I luv that, looks a little tudor in bright colours lol
She looks sweet today!
She has lots of pinnys now!

Kathi said...

Very pretty! Looks really nice with Tessie's white dress. I hope she appreciates all of your hard work?

beyondbaffled said...

Love the Valentine's Day outfit!

miniacollection said...

Tessic looks terrific with her new outfit. I like the photo of the rabbit on the chair.
Geneviève

Carey said...

I love the new dress. You are so talented.
Carey