Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, July 20, 2009

Never Give a Witch a Wand.........

Sorry I'm late. We went to see Harry Potter today. I already gave my opinion in the comments over at Nikki's Witch and Wizard Miniatures http://nikkinikkinikki72.blogspot.com/ . She shared my opinion.

Anyway,in the movie, Olivander's Wand Shop was destroyed. So much for buying Tessie a nice wand......

What made me think that buying or making Tessie a wand was a good idea? Sometimes the six year old in me just doesn't think before she leaps. This was one of those times.

I came home and got out some index cards, fancy paper, velvet ribbon, and a couple of Japanese carved toothpicks. With glue, scissors, an Exacto knife and an emery board in hand, I went to work.

First I drew spirals on the toothpick from the "handle" to about an inch out. Then with my trusty Exacto I carved the barley twist on it by making a "V" on each line and smoothing it with the emery board. I stained it with Minwax Provincal stain.

While that was drying I built a box for it. If Olivander had boxes for his wands, Tessie will want one to store hers in when she is not madly waving it at everything in site.

Then using the lines on the index card as a guide, I did a 1/4" box that was just a bit longer than the wand.

You can build any box this way. All you have to remember is to make the inside box just a smidgen smaller than the outside. In this case, I made one about 1/16" longer than the other and for the width, I simply folded the inside box inside the lines on the bottom and the outer box on the outside of the lines. I glued fancy paper to the outside top before folding and some velvet floral ribbon to the inside sides and bottom.

Before I was even half way done, Tessie grabbed the wand and started waving it around, pointing at various items and trying out spells. There were things flying this way and that. She finally calmed down when I told her if she made the mess, she cleaned up the mess. She knows that threat is a solid and very serious one. I did have to get Mookie down from the high plant shelf, but other than that everything was back in place.

Remember how Spike was sitting attentively in front of her, watching every wave of the wand? I was looking through the magnifying glass, marking the second wand so that you could see how I did it. I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye......

"OK, TESSIE!!!! THAT'S ENOUGH!!!! Spike does not want to live his life as a gigantic gargoyle! You have sixty seconds to turn him back!" That was me....

Tessie's reply? "But it is such an improvement! He can fly!"

I then pointed out that if he was a gargoyle he was made of stone and couldn't move or breathe.

She quickly waved the wand and put him to rights. He is now hiding under her bed and wouldn't come out for even the T-bone steak that she offered!

I am either going to have to wrestle her to the ground and take back the wand or go somewhere and hide too. I will have to ponder the choices for a little while. What was I thinking?? Tessie with a wand???

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

niknik said...

По-моему, Вам уже пора издать книгу со своими чудесными рассказами! А иллюстрации уже готовы!))))

rosanna said...

Oh oh I forsee troubles coming soon....

Debbie said...

What possessed you to give Tessie a wand Casey? I think you may regret it. Lets hope Zar doesn't upset her or he could end up as a stone statue. LOL..

Jo Raines said...

So funny! Poor little spike turned into a gigantic gargoyle! And I guess Zar was still soaking in DVD's! It's always a treat to visit you here.

Jody
http://minileapsandbounds.blogspot.com/

Creager Studios said...

WOW...little Tessie is more powerful than imagined.... and you can make one powerful wand!!

My advice...hide it...HIDE IT NOW!!!

Beautiful job by the way on the wand and box

Hugs,
Jodi

Katie said...

Bah hahahaha...Poor Spike!