Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Don't Jump On My BED!!!!!

I finished the bed this morning. There is a tutorial elsewhere on the blog.....Would you believe that I actually have that one labeled "bed tutorial"? I do! Anyway, I won't go over all of the bed making again. I did take one photo of how the pillows are done when people don't want to sew. You simply make two of the same shape with card stock or index card and padding under the fabric and glue them back to back. I did the linen pillows by sewing, but the round pillow and the plaid ones are the glued kind. What's nice about the glued kind is you can make any shape pillow that you want as long as you can cut two of the same shape.

As soon as I finished the bed I put it in the Clockwork cottage to see how it fit. I think it is pretty much near perfect for the space. I am amazed that there is only one place that you can put a bed in that bedroom. One wall is cut up with eaves and bays and the other one has a fireplace, stairs and a weird opening to the staircase. I am thinking seriously of closing that. It doesn't make sense and besides Zar needs more wall space for an armoire or chest of drawers for his clothes.

Tessie had to be the first to "test" the bed. That's where today's title came from. I could hear Zar yelling from the workroom, where I went to put some of the bed stuff away.

Tessie says that is the only sane way to see if a bed is going to last. "If you can't jump on it, what good is it anyway?" She was trying to get Beau up there with her, but he is too well trained for that.

I finally got her off of the bed by telling Zar to take her to the kitchen and make some cappuccino. I know. That's asking for a hyper-Tessie. By the time that they finish the cappuccino I will be long gone. Balthazar can handle her. At least I am hoping that he can.

Here's the finished bed. It isn't really very Victorian, but in the Steampunk world you have lots of leeway on what works and what doesn't. Generally anything with cogs, pipes, or steam will be OK. After all, it is science fiction. That's the key word.

Oh! While I am thinking about it, I haven't seen it yet, but I hear that my friend Ronnie Godfrey managed to get me and Tessie into the latest issue of Dollhouse World over in England! Ronnie is on vacation right now, so I am not sure if she even knows about it. I guess it is a letter about Tessie and the blog on the editorial page. If you get the magazine, go look at page 11 and tell me what it says. Ronnie writes wonderful do it yourself for that magazine and so does her sister Beryl.

Ronnie and I have been in an online mini group together for over ten years now. I got to spend a couple of days with her the last time I was in England. It was like meeting a long lost sister. We had great fun. Beryl joined our group only a couple of years ago, so I didn't get to meet her at the time. Anyway, I am just rambling on now. I will quit.

See you tomorrow.

15 comments:

George the Miniguy said...

Casey, the bed is fabulous! It looks great. I wanted you to know I just have "tagged" you for the pick six. I find your blog an interesting and fun read. I also wrote a little about your blog on my blog today and included a link to your's. The pick six idea is for you to mention my blog in your blog, and then to pick six other blogs you like along with six things you like. I cheated and included the link to your site and a link to one of your pictures of your tiny little "assistant" as well. Love your blog!
George Held

Debbie said...

Casey the bed looks fantastic. I really love how it's all come together. I'll have to see if I can get hold of a copy of the Dollshouse
World Mag and have a look for you..xx

De said...

The bed is beautiful, Casey, and congrats on being in the British magazine with Tessie!

Katie said...

It's OK...You can ramble, We'll listen:)

I love the bed!!! It's absolutly perfect!! And so is the suggestion for easy pillows!!! Thanks

Deb said...

Casey, I love the bed! Congrats for being in a magazine, you deserve it!

Cate and David said...

It's perfect!

Dawn said...

The bed turned out wonderful! I love it.

Mary said...

I love how the rich colors of the bed skirt and pillows pick up all the rusts and darker colors from the headboard. Two thumbs for the bed and for landing a magazine spot!

Ara said...

The bed looks amazing and oh so comfy!!! Speaking of... I am off to visit mine for the evening! -ara

MiniKat said...

That is the most awesome min bed I've ever seen! Love the pillow trick too. :-)

Sans! said...

It is a really beautiful bed, Casey and yet masculine..hmm, or is it??..maybe the round pillow is made by Tessie for Zar..I have a slight problem with perceptions of masculinity..not sure if mine matches the average guy's. Congrats on being in England's mag too! Strange I thought you were from England until I read your profile again, its that sense of humour I think.

Meli Abellán said...

Casey, my congratulations for all the great and wonderful tutorials!!! Thank you so much!! You are very talented!!!
Meli

Katie said...

I read the magazine and that is how I found you! Now I follow you (and Tessie and Zar),so thanks to Ronnie! Your site is great :)
The letter is in teh MiniMail section and says:
I wonder if other readers would be intereseted in the most fantastic blog I've seen so far. This one belongs to ym friend Casey Rice who lives in Tuscon, Arizona. Casey's one of those exceptionally talented people who would make you sick if she weren't so very nice and modest! I don't think there's any aspect of miniatures that she can't do well, and she's adept at many other crafts too. If you're looking for a sure way of doing something, you'll probablt find out in the blog.
Recently she's been carving a fire surround, and going off the miniatures track a little, beading the handles of some of her tools! She has a small helper called Tessie, who is a holy terror and has lots to say for herself. This is a really good daily read! (Then it has your url and Ronnie's name)
Hope this is what you wanted, even though its a very long comment! I think its a great description, keep up the great work.
Katie

Caseymini said...

Thanks for sending the copy of the letter Katie! I still hadn't seen it. Ronnie is too kind!

Thanks for all of the nice comments on the bed, gang. It was fun to do something that was pure imagination and not following any rules but the ones that I made up as I went along.

dora said...

Le ha quedado una cama fantastica.