Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, May 29, 2009

A Summer Dacha

"For Me???" As usual, that's Tessie's first question when there is a new structure in sight. I am very carefully avoiding answering. I bought the kit for the Spring Fling that Greenleaf puts on every year. As usual, I didn't finish it when I should have. Tessie spotted it this morning. "I would love summers in Russia.". She was jumping up and down and dancing around the little house.

I had decided to turn it into a Russian dacha in honor of the time that April spent there when she was getting her master's degree in Russian.

I have always liked the rural architecture. The cottages are very unusual. Lots of wood. Lots of shingles and the onion shaped roofs.

I have saved articles from magazines and found more information on the web. The kit seemed to scream "Russian dacha". I put the kit together right after I got it. I added a point to the top of the round roof to make it the right shape. I will add a large chimney space to the left side. I have already cut an extra wide hole on that side. The Russians knew how to keep out the cold with walk in fireplaces. You can see the photo of the fireplace that I want to replicate under Tessie's feet in the last photo. She immediately latched onto the large samovar on the bench. "I need one of those!". What is it with her and coffee/tea making machines?

Since I had already started the shingling on one side, I decided to continue with that. I love the diamond patterns shingles that the Russians mix in with the regular ones. I think that it adds so much interest.

There will be three courses of diamond pattern and then back to the straight. I will probably put another three in when I get higher up towards the peak.

Shingling is something I can do quite easily whilst cat sitting. Mookie is doing great. Us, not so great. He still should be kept away from Widget until at least Sunday. He is not a happy camper. He wants out in the worst way......I am not sure which of us is going to go stir crazy first. At least, hopefully, it will only be until Sunday. Fingers crossed.

BTW, I did find Zar. He was confined to his workroom where I left him last. He just couldn't manage to get out of the stolen chair. I made Tessie release him and he is now relaxing in the chase in front of Tessie's house. I think it fits him better than Tessie. He's trying to figure out how to get it back to the Clockwork Cottage. Asking Tessie nicely doesn't seem to work.

Meanwhile, Tessie is happily looking through all of the photos and planning "her summer place". I just can't win!

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool idea!!! Don't worry you aren't alone...I didn't get mine done either!

Katie said...

Sounds like a fun project to do!! I always love seeing what your going to do next!!

Glad to hear Mookie's feeling better!

rosanna said...

Russia!!! I know it only through Cecov and Tolstoi romances but it mus be a great place to visit. A dacha is something I could stand. Tessie is a little spoiled witch but we all love her as she is.

Deb said...

You have the best ideas! Can't wait to see what you come with for the Russian house.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love it! What an awesome idea . . . I can't wait to see it come to fruition! Perhaps Madame Riaboushka could come and visit when it's done . . . she misses Russia so much!