Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

If All Else Fails.......

READ THE DIRECTIONS!!! I started installing the stairs this morning. I am replacing all of the thick treads with ones cut from bass wood. Somehow the plywood that comes in the Greenleaf kits just doesn't do it for me. I like wood to look like wood where it shows.

I am using the risers that came with the kit because they will be painted anyway. The first thing I had to do was to install the stringers. One side of the stringers in the living room was part of a piece of the foundation strip along the base. The other one, further in, was not installed yet. OOPS!!!! I missed that part in the directions.......Soooooo......I had to take the keyhole saw to the piece. There was no way to install it after the wall was glued in place. I missed that part of the directions totally. Hey! Whatever gets the job done! I cut it apart at the wall line and then glued the two pieces in separately.

I should have known better. How many years have I been putting dollhouses together? Let's just say a looooong time and leave it at that. I discovered that one of the walls of the left bay didn't stay stuck. I had to re glue it. It is a rough one to clamp. The wood warped a bit and it popped. I have it fixed now.

I dry fitted the roof on another section and found what I suspected there. The center partition wall is also warped. It easily goes back to straight when I put it into the roof slots so that is not a worry. I store all kits flat to keep them from warping......Somehow there are always a few pieces that are just plain bad to begin with.

Anyway, back to the stairs. I decided that the risers were going to be painted charcoal gray. Did that. Then the walls wanted to be the same color in the stairwell. I want it to be dark and dreary looking.

This photo almost looks blue. Nope. Stupid camera refused to make the walls the right color. I took several photos. They all came out this way. You will just have to take my word for it. They are charcoal.

While putting the stairs together, I found the interesting nook under the first landing. I think that there is going to have to be an opening somewhere so that Steampunk man can hide things in there. Also, the bookcase is way too deep. I am thinking hiding place behind there too.

Here you see the new steps that I am making for the stairway. I cut them, using the original stair treads for patterns. They are stained with English Chestnut Minwax stain. It's a new color to me. I still need to varnish the steps and glue them in. They are just dry fitted for now.

While I had the stain out, I went ahead and stained the body of the bath box in the same color. It will still get a bit more trim. I will probably put a small water tank at the left of the tub. It will probably be an oblong oval shape to fit the area.

I am not sure that I like that large window right beside the tub. It may become smaller before things are done.

I feel like I actually accomplished something today. I need to go back and keep up the momentum. If I sit here longer I will probably start searching Steampunk sites again. Not a good thing. I am on a roll.

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

rosanna said...

You have been a busy bee today. Good job my friend.Mini hugs

Debbie said...

Love how the bath as turned out Casey. I'm watching with interest how the Steampunk's Place is coming together.. No Tessie today then, thought she may helping you.. LOL

MiniKat said...

It's looking good!

Katie said...

I love how the tub turned out! That stain is really pretty, but so is the trim! Feels good when you can get going on a roll, huh??

Jo Raines said...

I find that I often end up breaking the wooden pieces that come with the Greenleaf kits but thought it was my gigantic finger syndrome or something ("Fee, fi, fo fum . . . "). Really, I'm a woman of average build but my hands seem gigantic when handling the teensy! If I knew my way around wood as you do, I wouldn't have a problem. This is looking wonderful.

Jody
Mini Leaps and Bounds