Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, February 13, 2009

What Comes Next?...

I am so close to finishing Tessie's house that I can taste it. That should be tomorrow. I finished painting the rock work this morning. No. I didn't do the door. I did take a couple of photos so that Tessie could see herself. I picked some Thyme and some Dessert Hackberry Bush and borrowed the landscaping thingies from the Mystery House just for photo taking purposes. I think that it definitely needs some vines on the front. I will make them from wire and landscaping materials so that they will be permanent.

She is still yelling about the door. That's going to be the last thing that I do. I will show her who's boss......Yes, I will! Sure I will.....

My mind has been wandering to the plans for the next project. The six year old is popping out once again. I have this under the bed. It's the Greenleaf Glencroft. I have always thought that it would make a good writer's cottage.

Lately I have been running into a lot of Steampunk. For those that don't know what that is, one description is "Techno-Victorian". Think H. G. Wells' "Time Machine" for real. In other words, Victorian science fiction. I would like to do this house as the house of an early science fiction writer-inventor. It is going to take a lot of list making and note taking. As far as I know, no one has done any Steampunk miniature houses yet.

Therefore, I have decided to think on that project while working on this one. I had to dig to the back, bottom and top of the computer room closet to find both pieces. The curved fronted box is oak. I bought it at the Tucson miniature show years ago. The legs that it stands on are from a thrift shop. I think that they were supposed to be a footstool and maybe were made in a woodworking class. There was never a top put on it, so it suits my purposes perfectly.

This one will really be more like busy work. I already started it. I have already gotten sidetracked a couple of times. I do elegant minis once in a blue moon. Boring, boring, boring. At least they are for me. I used to make one of a kind beds with hand carved headboards, antique silks and lace. I sold quite a few numbered and signed. I only kept a couple. I want to use one in here. I have a hand carved, original dressing table that I also want to use . I can't say that I am excited about it, but it will keep me busy while I think about the Steampunk project. That excites me.


The first thing I will have to do for that project is come up with a writer/character to work with. It was fun working with Tessie, but I think that a writer/inventor will have a lot to say about where he lives too.

Check that last statement. The real first thing I have to do is put everything back in the closet. Yes. That pile really does fit in that closet! Honest. Someone hand me a shoehorn and some axel grease.

See you tomorrow if I make it out alive!


3 comments:

Debbie said...

Tessie's Cottage looks wonderful.
Love that Oak Unit, can't wait to see what you do.
And another Cottage to start on. Yippee can't wait.

KLC said...

Have you seen this steampunk dollhouse keyboard http://steampunkbitz.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/steampunk-keyboard-the-mini-me-version/? Very wonderful! I'm really looking forward to seeing your steampunk glencroft.

Caseymini said...

I have seen the real one. I hadn't seen the mini one tho. Thanks for the url.