Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, February 27, 2009

I Was Kidnapped!

Honest. I was. April did it. Technically, since she is my kid and she forced me to go with her, I call it kidnapping. We were to meet for coffee this morning. We did. Then, in her car, she forced me to go to several thrift shops and an antique store. I am so glad that she did!

At the first thrift shop that we went to, I found this for a dollar. It is a little book called"A Guide to Mushrooms and Toadstools". It was published in 1963. The amazing part is the illustrations. Someone painted hundreds of them in full color.

Nikki, if you need some friends for your new mushroom men, just yell! There are some fantastic looking mushrooms in this book. I will be happy to scan some of the pages for you.

Two thrift shops later, I pounced on these!. And I do mean pounced!

They are "Take a Seat" chairs. They are resin cast. I again paid 1.00 each......The last time I saw them at a miniature show, I think that they were about 15.00 each. The director's chair even has the texture of the canvas on the red part. There is a rolled up script in the pocket on the side. The other one is labeled Patio chair. They both have all of the original tags on them. I am jumping up and down almost as much as Carolyn! I found chairs! They are sitting on the mushroom/toadstool book in the photo.


I just want to say thanks to April for the kidnapping! It was fun. I only had to pay $3.00!

Now more about the lights. I found a couple more to fuss with and then I built another one from scratch. I have worked on one of these, but I will probably add more as soon as I tear the two watches that April gave me into little pieces. I finally have a few cog wheels and other little parts to play with. The one that I worked on only has some 26 gage, brass wire wound around parts of it so far. I think that the shade needs something.

This is the one that I scratch built on another one of the picture hangers. It is just starting to get interesting. I need to build some kind of shade for it still.

I used mostly parts from that batch of broken jewelry that I bought the other day.

So much for the works in progress. I am going to stop working on them for a day or two and finish Carolyn's chair. As soon as that is finished, I will get back to the Glencroft.

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

rosanna said...

Hi Casey, I've come back home only 30 min ago but I had to read your blog!! I lost the drawing!! weel I had lots of wonderful skiing but I missed your tales! At evening I felt orphaned of you and Debbie and all the bloggers who keep me company during the week! Thank you

Debbie said...

Casey love all your purchases especially the book on Mushrooms and Toadstools. What fabulous illustrations. If you scanned this into your computer, could you then miniaturise them and make a book for Tessie, bet she'd love that.

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Hi Casey. Oh that would be lovely. Looks like a fab book and my kind of thing. Its ever so starnge because i was thinking all day i'm going to hunt for an illustrated mushroom book.
Yours looks briliant and so going to have a hunt on ebay and see if there are any available. If not then please sscan some pics for me, which would be just wonderful.
Off for a search now and will let you know if i'm lucky.
Nikki x

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Managed to find one. Not the same but just as good.
The ones like your book were selling for $4-8 with postage to the uk for around $15 so you really did get a bargain.
When it arrives i'll pop some pics on my blog. I've always wanted a mushroom identification book.

Creager Studios said...

Hi Casey...

That is indeed a great book...and super finds that you made. Hey...we are neighbors...I live in Lake Havasu,AZ and you in Tucson,AZ... hop, skip and a jump.
Nice to meet you...
Visit my blog sometime and say Hi!

Jodi

April said...

You need to be kidnapped every now and then. I spent exactly $3 also.