Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Debbie Made Me Do It!

Debbie from Tiny Treasures made me do it! She was fermenting strange concoctions in barrels yesterday and today. Tessie saw it and was very jealous. I told her that she couldn't handle barrels of potions. So she settled on a pot of worm and eyeball stew for a start. It's an old family recipe, passed down for generations. Tessie used assorted worms. There are some tomato worms, earthworms, and bookworms. The important part is getting equal parts of each. She used canned eyeballs. I am not sure what kind.

Personally, I would just make a cane of black poly wrapped with stripes of two colors of brown and some white. Then I would wrap the whole thing in white and roll it down to about 1/12" of and inch in diameter. Then I would slice off 1/12" pieces and roll them into balls. None of that for her. She wanted the "good kind". I didn't question her further.......

She let the worms boil in their own juices. I would cover them with liquid Sculpey and dab a bit of yellow colored liquid Sculpey in a few places with a pick. I would then bake them at 275° for 15 to 20 minutes. A side note. When I do bake poly, I usually stick it in the oven and let it heat up along with the oven. It's just a personal quirk.

If it were me doing it, I would finish it off with a coat of Future acrylic floor polish for the wet look and shine that it needs. She didn't have to do that. It was wet and slimy, er I mean shiny already.


I read somewhere that if you combine liquid Sculpey with acrylic paint it will bubble......It certainly does. I tried it with some blood. To begin with, it wasn't dark enough. And did it ever bubble!!! The blood was concave at the top of the cup and the little drips down the side were flat against the cup like paint. I always have to see what happens with something like this for myself, in case it can be utilized in some way. As you can see, it practically exploded! After I got it out of the oven, I sliced the top off with a clay blade. I discovered that under the puffy part there was a big hole. I will have to fill that in and bake it again. I will probably will dig it all out and start over with oil paint to tint, as I usually do. Hey! It was fun to see what would happen. I did put a lot of paint into the mix. Maybe with a bit less it wouldn't puff up so much.

Maybe I can pass the top off as a bloody bagel. Anyway, it was one of those experiments that had to be done.
I am going back to the mortar and pestle now. I have to grind some bones to make my bread.

See you tomorrow.


6 comments:

Debbie said...

Brilliant Casey, I've already started on another barrel.. Having loads of fun making all these weird and wonderful concoctions..
Mini Hugs

rosanna said...

weird, strange and very Addam's family sort of thing. I did love the Addams!!

nikkinikkinikki72 said...

Hi Casey. Yes its fine to add me to your links.
Love your pot with eyeballs and worms. Looks great!
Also loved your experiment and will keep it in mind for when i want an explosion.
I have some of those little pots your made your stew in and never thought of putting food in them before, but will now.
Love your blog also and it has make me laugh with all your little tales.

Donna Hager said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. The eyeballs and worms in a pot look great....well, as great as worms and eyeballs in a pot can look.
Donna

Sasha said...

Great eyeball stew! Looks perfect!

How did you make the worms? just poly clay?

Caseymini said...

Yes Sasha, just poly clay. I mixed scraps of different greens and browns at random.