Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Filling in the Blanks.



Well.....It has been decided. The Sweetheart is going to be a half timber cottage. I am still not sure what is going inside, but the outside is half covered with timbers.
This is one of my favorite techniques. I love the style. I am using DAP Dry Dex Spackling Compound to do it. This stuff is great. It goes on pink and when it is dry it is white. It is easily sanded and takes paint well.

My first step is above. I filled in all of the tab and slot areas with the DAP. I waited for it to turn white and then sanded it.

Next I went and found a bunch of the slats from my handy dandy 80's style blinds. My method of doing the half timbers is not very scientific or even architecturally accurate. I take a big pair of scissors and just hold the pieces up to the building where I want them, mark them and cut with said scissors. I try to err on the side of too big. Then I dry fit them. To install I start with the longest pieces horizontally. That would be the floor line on the first floor and then the same for the second floor. Those are easy. I just cover the tab and slot holes.

Next I run One timber under the window line. Then I do verticals at the edge of each window and door frame. I put a top frame on the square windows. Oops! I forgot one on the bottom of the second floor arched window. I haven't decided what I am going to do for the arched window and door yet. You will have to stay tuned for the next episode to find that out. Next I fill in with shorter timbers under the windows and diagonally under the eaves. I let those dry.

The last step in the process is to fill in the blank walls all over. The bottom will be filled in with a foundation of rock or brick. I think that I may make the first floor under the windows herringbone brick. The rest I will fill in with the Spackle to look like plaster. Here you see a section that I just did. I use my finger and smear it from the outside to the center. I want it to look like the plastering was done after the timber. As I go, if I get any of the Spackle on the wood, I wipe it off with a damp paper towel. As you can see, this section is still wet(pink). I will let it all dry for 24 hours and then do some stains and washes to make it look aged.

Grab some old wood slats, glue and Spackle and join me. There are lots of books and sites on the web with photos of half timber houses if you aren't sure how they should look. If you try it, have fun with it. After all, your house isn't going to fall down if you put a timber in the wrong spot.

I need to get the Spackle washed off of the keyboard and go back to work now. See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Erika said...

That will be lovely at the end my friend.

rosanna said...

I know this kind of houses, I've seen plenty of them in Black Forest. How will you furnish it?
I doesn't have a dolls house anymore and you make me want to start a new one from scratch. The problem is my real home: it's not bigger than a dolls one and I have no place for anything:-((((

Debbie said...

Casey, I will be watching this with growing interest. I've just found in my stash a Village Greenleaf Kit #8016 in 1/4"-1'. It contains six little buildings, one being a Tudor house....The others are a store, Carriage House, Victorian House, Church and a school house.Their all tab & slot assembly, which I never done before, so will be watching closely for any tips..
Mini Hugs

Debbie said...

p.s just written about you on my blog..

Sasha said...

I'll also be watching closely. I've got a refurb Country Manor to do and I want to do a timber cottage look( eventually it will be a pub).