Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Accused of Holding Out!

This morning I met my daughter at Starbucks for coffee. We were going to go to thrift shops looking for my favorite wooden blinds. We went to a couple and had no luck. We were listening to the inauguration proceedings on the radio as we traveled. We decided to go to her place and watch the actual inauguration and presidential speech before traveling on. It was pretty amazing to see all of those people in one place listening to the speeches and swearing in of the next president.

When I returned home, Tessie was waiting and demanded to know what had taken me away from working on her house. It is very hard to explain about the inauguration if someone has never heard anything about politics before. So.....I decided to show her what was going on.

I borrowed the burglar's TV and put it in her cottage. It's a good thing that I haven't done the windows yet. I had to stick the antenna out the window to get a good picture. She was sitting in the corner pouting when I started setting it up. She peeked over the top of the book that she was pretending to read and was immediately entranced by the amazing moving pictures.... "Why haven't I seen this before?! I thought you said that a TV wouldn't work because I didn't have that electricity stuff!" She moved her chair closer. I had to explain that it worked with batteries. I didn't have the heart to tell her that in a few weeks it won't work at all. When they change the signal, the set will be just a doorstop.

Then I had to explain who Barack Obama was and why he was swearing.....No not that kind of swearing, Tessie. She was fascinated and was disappointed that she had missed the swearing part. She only got to see part of the luncheon. Then they had the nerve to turn off the cameras and actually eat without her watching..... How rude!.

She still watched and kept moving the chair closer. I went away to find a couple of things that I needed to work on the cottage. I discovered that she had poked her nose over the top of her book as I was getting it ready for her to watch.

She learns fast. When I returned, ready to work, she was snuggled under MY silk afghan, watching the burglar's TV. The inauguration? Nope. She managed to push the buttons and change the station to "Friends".

Oh well. I didn't want to work on the cottage today anyway. So there!
Here's hoping the batteries will run out by tomorrow.....See you then.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Did the batteries run out or Tessie still watchin on the burglar´s tv??

Heather Cutting-Rayl said...

How sad for Tessie that her batteries will run out! The next 4 years are sure to be very interesting! This is my fist time visiting your Blog and I enjoyed myself tremendously! Thanks!