Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, December 20, 2008

I Can't See the Forest....



That's because I am making the trees now. Then I may be able to see the forest, or at least a small part of it.

I am back to the poly clay today. I'm making small table trees for Christmas. Here's how I did it. I gathered up dark green, gold and red poly. You could use other colors, but I wanted to make it simple. You will also need a small pair of scissors with sharp points, toothpicks and your hands. That's about it.
I started with the green and made small cones by rolling the clay into a ball and then, putting more pressure on one side, I formed the cones. If the bottom is not flat, you can cut it off with a clay blade. Starting at the bottom of the cone, I snipped in little V shapes with the pointy scissors. Go in at an upward angle and cut. The photo shows approximately the angle used.

I clipped little cuts in the edges of all of the leaves. As you can see, it is easier to do if you stick the tree on the end of a toothpick so that you will have something to hold onto. After that, I brushed the branches lightly with metalic powder. This step is optional. Then I made tiny balls of red and put them at the upwards Vs.

The second tree has a leaf cane sliced and placed at random to cover the tree. Then I cut the gold in tiny balls and filled in the corners. I rolled it around a bit to make sure that all of the gold balls stayed in place. If you want to find out how to make the canes go to Polymer Clay Central. Their website has all kinds of tutorials for canes and other useful information on the use of poly clay.

The third one really needs no explanation. I just formed the cone, rolled out thin strips of gold and red and twined them around the tree. You could add balls between or use a different pattern of strips to do this kind.
I couldn't find a star cutter so I improvised and used a heart cutter for the tree topper. I will probably have to go back and re do that part when I find the star.

This just goes to show you how simple it is to make decorations for your house. These are all under an inch tall. You can make them whatever size you want.

I am done for the day. I need to tend to my knitting now. See you tomorrow.

No comments: