Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Rough Roof....

I shingled yesterday afternoon. I forgot to take a photo of that step, but I am sure that most of you know what a raw roof looks like. I took the shingles that came with the kit and turned them upside down. I put the scallop at the top and used the flat edge down so that I could make a kind of a weathered slate roof.


It is far from finished, but I wanted to show you what I have so far since I will be going to the Wednesday Witches' mini Halloween party at noon. No time to do more mini-ing on the shop today.....BTW, as soon as I have time, I am going to change all of the "labels" from accessories shop to basket shop. I have decided that this is just to old and dilapidated to be a fancy accessories shop. I am going to break down the shadow box that I have the baskets in now and put them in here instead. I may end up making a few more baskets, but just think about it this way. More baskets, maybe more tutorials....



Here is the present state of the outside of the shop. I still have a lot more trim to put under the eaves and there are still the roof caps to think about, but I am really happy to have the body of the roof finished. Yippee! No more shingling!!!



Here's way I did it. I did the basic staggered shingles. I let them dry overnight.


This morning I trimmed the edges where it was needed and then I painted the body with a mixture of Ceramcoat hippo gray and a couple of squirts of purple dusk(that's a fancy name for lavender). I wanted the slate to have a cooler look. The hippo gray is basically a warm gray. After that dried, I added a bit of light ivory to the pot and did dry brush strokes from the bottom up on all of the shingles so that the bottom edges would stand out. The last step was to add a really light wash of a mixture of burnt sienna and black to the top edge of the shingles next to the bottom edge of the next row above. That gave them even more dimension.


When I get back to it, I will add highlights here and there with Prismacolor pencils. That will give the roof more of a slate look and not all of the shingles will be the exact same color.


Above, there's a close up. If you poke it, you can see the different shades a little better.


While you are poking at the pictures, I am going to slip out and put on my pointy hat. Then I am going to put on my pointy high topped witchy shoes and go to the party. I hope and pray that Dorothy doesn't drop a house on me! This is no way to spend Halloween!!! And that time it was just a table!


Hopefully, I will see you tomorrow.






1 comment:

Marja said...

verry nice....
ik look every dag here..
have a heppy halloween!
Marja Balvers