Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Monday, October 27, 2008

Keep Your Credit Cards Handy!

I love to get credit card applications in the mail with fake credit cards in them. I love when credit cards expire. No, I'm not running up bills or getting my cards taken away. It's because the cards make great mini tools. I cut them in strips however wide and long I want my bricks or cut stones to be. In the case of regular bricks, I use one strip that is 1/4" wide and one that is 3/4" wide. When cut this way, they make a fast job of putting bricks in DAS or other clays. They are also good for getting air bubbles out of wallpaper and a number of other things. When they get messy I can toss them.

Ignore the green Halloween fingernails and pay attention. Here's the credit card strip in action! I did the markings here in about 20 minutes. It would take me less time if the pattern weren't herringbone. That pattern will be the death of me. I have to stop and make sure that the bricks are running in the right direction every row. It is very easy to mess up and have all of the bricks running the same way. There is another name for that. Don't ask. I can't remember it and I don't want to go look it up right now.


As you can see from the photos, I did the edge first. That way I have an idea of how big the area is for the herringbone. I got lucky with this one. I started in the bottom right hand corner with a diagonal and when I got to the left end, to my surprise, it came out so that I had the same diagonal in that corner pointing inward too! Usually if I don't measure it turns out with half bricks at the other end and then I get to start over.


The order is, cover the step with rolled out DAS. Texture it with the stencil brush. Put in the marks.


I am happy to report that the DAS is co-operating this time all the way around. I wanted the walls to look old, cracked and patched in places. It did just that. The part that you see here has dried for almost 24 hours and is showing just a few cracks here and there. There are just a few lumps here and there too.


I have all of the walls covered now. I need to finish putting blocks around the foundation and some cut stone around the door and window sill. I am going to finish that today and tomorrow I can start laying on washes. That's my favorite part.


I am going back to the real world for a while now. I have no clean clothes to wear. I have to do laundry. I would much rather get things dirty. It is so much more fun. Maybe I can combine the two.... While the washer is running I am going back to the DAS party.


See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

Minka said...

Is DAS sold at Michael's? What should I look for? Any brand names or IS that the brand name? Thanks!

Caseymini said...

Yes Minka, DAS is sold under that name. It is put out by Prang now. It used to be imported from Germany. It comes in white and terra cotta. Right out of the package the white looks gray. It changes as it dries. If you use it, don't try to do a whole wall at once. Do about a 3 or 4 inch square at a time. It needs to be re wet along the edge if it is dry and you want to add another section. If I am applying it to a side wall, I use white glue under it to make sure it stays.

Caseymini said...

It is sold at most craft stores in the same dept. as the poly clay. Michael's has it.