Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Saturday, October 25, 2008

As Far As It Goes....


I replaced the chimney/fireplaces yesterday with a tall bay. I didn't put in windows because I want to use it as a display area. Maybe that part will be for hats on hatstands.
I actually had enough wood to make the whole bay with the second floor and the chimney that I no longer needed.
Here you can see the add on. I simply placed a ruler next to the roof line and drew a line parallel to the roof, the width of the ruler on both sides. I measured in from the edge of the building on both sides two inches and drew a vertical line on either side, making sure that the corners where the wall and roof meet were the same length on both sides. That gave me the shape that I wanted. I cut out that piece to use for the back wall.
I wanted the bay to be two inches deep so I cut two side pieces that were as long as the vertical on the back piece and 2 1/8" deep. I cut a bottom piece two inches wide and as long as the back of the wall. That was the floor.
I had to put 1/2" pieces under the floor and attach it to the building. Then I glued the side walls to the back and let them dry. That made the piece the width of the hole but 1/8" deeper. I glued the bottom edge to the base and the side walls to the sides of the opening. Voila! One bay. Oh yes. I forgot. For the roof pieces, I cut them 3/4 of an inch longer than the sides of the roof line and 2 1/2" deep. That gave me the overhang the same as the rest of the roof. I glued them on and then it was Voila.
Here's the after photo. I don't think that you will be able to tell where I added when I finish.
I did two coats of Gesso this morning. That pretty much covered up all the cracks, lumps and bumps.
Now I have to decide what style the shop will be.
As you can see, the benches on the porch are gone. It seemed to me that they blocked the way into the interior. Now it is more open and inviting.
Here's the inside view. I stood poor little Sugarplum on it's head and painted all of the interior with two coats of gesso as well. Gesso is my best friend when it comes to these kits. Usually a couple of coats will cover most of the imperfections in the wood.
I think that the extra bay is going to add a lot of display space. I am very pleased with it so far.
That's as far as I am going today. Real life is back again. Well... I can always try to think of a name for the poor little no name shop while cleaning the closet.
See you tomorrow.

No comments: