Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, July 18, 2008

The Way They Were

I found this post card photo of an old men's shop somewhere in my wanderings. I am hoping that is not a copyright infringement to show it. It is interesting that they used to put all of the clothes on tables. I did some research and found that the first coat hangers were invented in the early 1900s. I guess that this was before then. Can you imagine what it was like to have to hang all of your clothes on hooks or pegs in the wall? The other alternative was to store them in drawers or trunks. Closets were pretty much non-existent. People had rooms especially for clothes if they were wealthy or armoires. How in the world did they do it? We laugh about the "Saturday night bath" now, but back then it was true! And NO deodorant. It must have been a fragrant world!



I painted the walls with Old Parchment this morning. It is the same color as the trim on the outside of the building.



This is one of the counters that I am going to be using. I haven't decided what kind of finish to put on it yet. I cheated and bought some counters and such at one of the mini shows one year. I was going to use them in the general store. I figure I may as well use them. I can always build more for the general store now that I am stocked up on wood.



I did get three more sweaters made today too. This time beige crew necks.


The bad news is blogger is not letting me upload any more photos right now. I keep getting an error message. Oh well. I was just going to show you the door and frame that I dropped on the floor and broke for the third time. I need to glue that thing in! When will I learn? Probably not before tomorrow. See you then.

No comments: