Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Time Flies......

Well. I just pushed the wrong key and published the title as a full blog. I think I had better do some editing..........

As I was saying, time flies. It's Wednesday again already. Short day for blogging. I will however, finish what I started. Here are a few more pics of the window making process.


I finished the first floor windows last night and installed two of them this morning.

Here's the first window for the second story. I glued the plastic to the back of the frame. Next I taped it to the pattern for that size window that I sketched. As you can see, I penciled it in on graph paper. If your frames are painted use blue painter's tape to tack them down. It won't mess up your paint. With the method I use, I have to paint them first. I prefer putting leading around the edge of the window so that they look like they are leaded to the frame. Therefore I have to have the plastic in place so that I can make that part fit exactly. I have started the first side of the leading. When it is cut this thin you can mostly put a fingernail where you want to cut it and just pull off the excess.


In the next photo you can see the front(left) and the back(right) of two of the finished windows for the lower floor.




The left one will be seen from the inside of the house. So the finished frame is showing on that one. The one on the right will be glued to the wall inside the house. the plastic reaches almost to the edge of the frame.


As you can see, I have already added color with Sharpie markers in the one on the left. I am leaving the ones on the entryway clear. I can still add color if I change my mind. Remember that the sharpie colors go on the inside of the window and the clear nail polish that I add for texture goes on the outside. Never the two shall meet. The lead will darken naturally in a short time. No need to add a darkening solution like some people do.


Now. Do you want to see what the finished windows are going to look like? Nope. I couldn't wait to see what the rocks and the washes were going to look like.


Here you go. I don't have the round window added yet. I forgot to cut them yesterday. Oops.


I have added about ten different colors to the rocks. I started with a wash of hippo gray Ceramcoat in all of the mortar lines. Then used various shades of brown, tile red, ochre, the green that I used on the inside bottom And a bit of dry brushed antique white here and there.I did a wash of the ochre over the Chamomile on the walls. I am actually getting excited now. I love it when a plan comes together!


See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Katie said...

The house looking GREAT!! I love how you did the color slivers on the glass....very interesting! Thanks as always for sharing such great ideas!!
Katie

Minka said...

Wow! This looks really wonderful. I'm enjoying watching the step-by-step.