Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Shelving Again

I had some very positive feed back from yesterday's lantern episode. Thanks everyone.


I'm back inside the bookshop today after taking a short vacation in lantern land. I was putting off the shelving on the second floor, lots of shelving on the second floor. I still have another one to build for the back wall. That means more bookmaking. And no, I haven't even started thinking about the third floor yet. I am trying hard NOT to think about the third floor right now.


I cut 5 strips 3/4" wide out of 3/32"X 3" bass wood. After measuring and remeasuring, I cut the verticals 7" and the horizontals to fit each of the three sections between. Then I cut tiny shelf supports and glued them in on the lines that I marked. As you can see I have the whole thing in the jig, drying. That's the sum total of the work so far today.


When I was looking for supplies in my room I found this. I thought you might like to see a cabinet house for a dollhouse that I made. My friend Jo sent me all of the pieces cut and ready for the shell and I did the rest.


The little windows are Walthers components from the train store. I still need to put in the door and I need a piece of trim to go between the first and second floor.


The whole house is less than 5" tall.
I did the vines on the side with green Pigma .005 pen and white paint for the berries.


Here's the inside. The bed on the top floor has a headboard made from one of those pierced Japanese fans that you find in import stores. The quilt is actually a tiny picture of a quilt cut from a magazine.


The couch is made of balsa covered with fabric and the rug was done on the computer.


I made the fireplace on the first floor but the other furniture is metal miniatures that I painted.


This little house is still looking for a home. I think that part of the problem is the color. I thought it was pretty at the time that I made it, but it really isn't one of my favorite colors. Hey! I just realized that I have a dollhouse shop. This is one of those 'Duh!' moments.....
I am going right now to climb up on a ladder and put it in it's new home. That is, as soon as I put a door in the front.

Hopefully I will have the bookcase done by tomorrow. See you then if I don't fall off the ladder.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I LOVE cabinet houses. Yours is so pretty. I hope to have one some day if I can find the space for it that is...