Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Up, Up and Away!!!

My inner six year old is at it again. I started the morning in the back yard raking leaves and cleaning up a bit. The wind started blowing sideways and I decided that I would rather be mini-ing. Yes. I know. That's what I would always rather be doing......

I came in and looked at the Mystery House and turned my back on it. I went into the workroom and there was the extra Buttercup Cottage kit begging to be let out of it's box. After all, it knows what it's going to be. I think I told you before when I was working on the other kit. The two of them are going to get together and become a 2 story+ attic bookstore/teashop.

My old Dremmel saw started yelling from the garage that it wanted to come in and play too. How could I not listen to them? They were all shouting at once. I had to give in just to get some peace and quiet!

This is Mr. Dremmel. He has been one of my best mini friends for 30 years! As you can see, he almost sanded through his own cord once upon a time and his sanding disk is much the worse for wear. His is still going strong tho.

He faithfully chewed his way through 7 pieces of wood this morning. That's all I am going to have to do to change from one story to two stories. He went back to his place in the garage happy after that.

I went to work and put together the pieces from which I sawed the peaks. That was easy until I figured out that if I left it in the same footprint as the other story that I had put together I was going to have to cut new pieces for the bay that extended out on the left side.....It all got taken apart and now the bottom story will have the bay on the opposite side.

What is great about this little kit is, it's symmetrical. I know it doesn't look it. The central floor is. So I took it apart and flipped everything.

In this photo you can see the bay sticking out on the right side on the second story. I will put some brackets for support under it like it would be in real life.

On the bottom you can't really tell yet but the bay will be on the other side. Right now there is only a hole. I will have to wait to attach it until I get further along.

As you can see, there are doors on each floor at the front. I will either close in the bottom of the top floor door and make it a window or I will have to build some kind of balcony on the roof of a porch. I am kind of flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Thus the Up, up and away.

I am definitely going to add a staircase to the second floor. This kit doesn't have one. Silly people. How are the customers supposed to get from one floor to the other? I guess I could add an elevator. Actually, that might be fun. It wouldn't take up nearly as much space as a staircase.

A friend of mine has an antique dollhouse that has an elevator that actually works. It is hooked to a string in the ceiling and there is a pulley with a handle to wind it up and down.

I'll have to think about that one for a while.

In this shot you can see where the bay will be downstairs and the bay is already in the upstairs.

This is so much more fun than raking the yard.

I will have to do some reality stuff like laundry and dishes. That will be something that I can do while the glue is drying.

I guess I should go glue something and then start the dishes. That's two for one. I get the dishes done and I get the excess glue off of my fingers.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Minka said...

I am trying to read your postings in sequence. It's nice to have the suspense of not know (yet) what you decided to do on this project! Thank you for sharing your methods and decision-making process!!!