Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Unfinished Shingle Syndrome

Here I am again. I have about 3 rows left on the back side of the house to finish. I still have some sanding and some washes to put on the whole roof too. I have changed the color completely. I patched the hole in the second floor on the inside and that is looking better. It still needs paint.

In case you are wondering about the leftover scraps of old shingles, I am scraping those as I go. It's another job I hate. I want to go back to decorating the inside.

By 2:oo PM I was about to start kicking the mystery house around the room. Rather than doing that I decided I needed a change of venue.

I know that I am going to want plants in the house and on the porch. This is what I did for the next hour.

I went outside and picked some of the seed stalks off of the Nandina. This is the time of year that they are just right. They are drying out on the plant.


I pulled all of the seed balls off, trimmed them to the size I wanted and potted them up in some floral foam. The pots are real terracotta. I got them from Skycrest Ceramics. I glued hunks of floral foam in the bottom and glued the stalks into that. Then I smeared(technical term) the top of the foam with white glue and sprinkled some railroad ballast over that.


The scissors in the background are great for making leaves. You cut a line of scallops. Then you turn them over and cut the same row with the other side of the scissors. It makes perfect leaf shapes. There are several sizes that these scissors come in. They are meant for scrap booking but I find that they are very useful for miniature making too.
I cupped the leaves with a ball stylus on a piece of thick leather. I use rawhide finish. That way the leaves don't fly so much.

After that I glued the leaves to the little white ends of the stalks. Most of them have three leaves. Some only two or one, depending on the space I have to fill in.

These will go on the porch next to the front door I think. I may add some little red berries or something to brighten them up.

One down. One to go.

Yes. I know I am stalling. Oh well....... See you tomorrow.

No comments: