Don't forget to poke the photos to enlarge!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Prattling About Pens Again...


I went to Walmart this morning. I should never do that when I have minis on my mind. I can always find something that needs purchasing.

Since the other day when I discovered the bottle in the nose end of a pen, I have been especially interested in the ten foot long section filled with writing implements. I struck gold! First I found 10 Papermate colored pens for $1.39 Four purple ones for Tessie, two green, orange and red.

Down the row a couple of feet, I found these. They are the cheapest pencils on the planet. Twenty four Unison Mechanical Pencils for 4.99. Granted I paid a little more for them, but I reasoned that I have a lot of other mechanical pencils that the lead and erasers will fit. So I am really getting my money's worth.

I could write with the pens until they ran out of ink, but I decided to sacrifice the $1.39 first and have some fun. I found that each will yield a number of pieces. I did have to use a saw to separate the pieces, but it was worth the trouble.

I took a few minutes and sawed the clip off of the cap. then I sawed a tumbler off of the top end of the same piece. The pitcher was finished with a slice from the barrel with a side sawed off for the handle. I glued it on with E-6000. The top end is the last piece on the other side of the table. I pulled out the point, removed the metal piece and cut off the end. That yielded the bottle and the smaller glass. The top end of the barrel yielded the last glass. There you have it. Five pieces were made from the one pen and all of that barrel that Zar is holding could be cut up and used for jars or more large glasses. I would say that's quite a haul for one 14 cent pen!

The orange ink leaked slightly when I pulled the point from the tip. That is why the bottle in the center looks kind of marbleized. I think that it makes it all the more interesting.

I haven't done anything with the pencils except take one apart. You can see the pieces that it yielded in the second photo. The writing tip does screw off of these. Basically you can have bottles of 8 different colors, 3 each for about 20 cents a piece even before you start cutting up the other pieces. There is a nice threaded end and a plain end on the barrel for jars and glasses or cups. The top end pulls out and had two different diameters on it. the larger one has the clip attached. I think that may be sawed off. We shall see.

As you can see, Tessie immediately found the purple ones. That's 20 pieces from the pens....And at least 3 new puce bottles from the pencils. Who knows what else they will yield? I am going back now and see what other pieces I can find in the pens and pencils.

See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

rosanna said...

This is having a mini mind !!!

Debbie said...

Gosh I've missed so much over the last few days I've had to play catch up. I did laugh when I saw Tessie's Chicken in the jar.. At least all is peaceful at the moment..xx

MiniKat said...

What a cool idea, Casey! You're like a human encyclopedia for mini ideas. :-)

Kathi said...

You amaze me! I just can't seem to see that potential with pens. I'm looking at the ones I have here on my desk and wondering... how does she do this?!
I've got a lot to learn!

Josje said...

I am so jealous of the big stores you have in the US where you can get all of these cheap supplies...I must say that is something I miss from not being a flight attendant anymore, I don't get to visit those huge stores!
How clever you have been with just one pen! I love the pitcher you made. I'll be looking out for those kind of pens.
Groeten, Josje